ShyReader failing to confess to Jonathan Kent

Reader has it BAD for Jon, but always hesitates at the last minute- they go to Hamilton High! 

gender neutral Reader, longer than usual ( 1300+ words ) (A LIL ANGST, BE CAREFUL YALL THIS ONE IS NOT SWEET) 

- - - 

~~~1

This is it. It's finally here.

Jonathan and Y/N have been assigned together for a book report. Jonathan's bread and butter as the son of two star studded reporters. He is rambling off the intricate symbolism of each character and the deliberate scene descriptions. You give him your 100% focus. He asks you what you thought of the protagonist's struggle. You give him a few "Uh Huhs" and nod while keeping eye contact, but not too much. 

 This is your chance. 

Then he asks if you thought the conflict was a narrative on human nature or if the story events were due to the difficulties they faced for survival. He follows it up with how you think the story would play out if it was updated to modern times with current cultural influences. You try to stutter out a satisfying answer. You want to impress him and have meaningful conversation on par with his. All you get out is a quiet "yeah that would be different." 

Your make or break. 

After mentally slapping yourself on the forehead for that pathetic response, you take a deep breath to deliver your real thoughts. Though none of them are pertaining to the novel assigned. Jon notices your anticipation, looks at you, and waits. You understand this is him being polite, giving you a chance to speak your mind, but all it does is make the one ounce of courage you had falter. 

And it's gone. 

Instead you spit out a question from left field. 

"Board for the book?"

"What?", he says.

After more awkward silence, "A-are we going to do a board,  like uh    uh a poster board for the book report?"

This sparks his brain into high gear. He is dishing out ideas left and right, ripping a page out of his notebook to start a brainstorm and design. You keep letting his brilliant mind cook into what you assume is going to be a A++. The teacher always favored Jon and his work. This report will be no different, but this was more than just another report for you. It was a chance to get closer and maybe let him know how you feel. 

Now all you feel is it slip through your fingers. 

~~~2

Your class group shuffles through the metal detectors and turnstiles. Your guide is waiting up ahead for everyone and your teacher is reminding people to stay in a single file for the security screening. 

The annual trip to the Museum of Natural History is underway. The long bus ride is finally over and you all get to stretch your legs. Seating was assigned by the 'who is less likely to cause trouble if seated together' rule. You spent the last 3 hours looking out the window while the student next to you put their hoodie up and over their smuggled headphones blasting music.

Thankfully, your biology teacher was kind enough to let students pick partners for the "buddy system" for lunch break. Safety First, of course. You planned to ask Jon to be lunch buddies 30 minutes before, as scheduled. But as the tour goes on and on, that seems less likely.

The exhibit is big, but the group is even bigger. Every junior enrolled in a science class is on this trip and due to college requirements, that basically means everybody. The dinosaurs around you are dozens of feet tall and the students joke that Jon could probably touch it no problem. He is the tallest of the entire junior class, after all. Meanwhile, you are still struggling to see what they're looking at. Is it a Spinosaurus or a Stegosaurus???