18 | the story of derek hale

Dylan groaned as her phone rang, her hand lazily untangled itself from the blanket surrounding her and slammed the bed, effectively hitting the ignore button. A few seconds later, the same annoying tone echoed in her ears. She thought about ignoring it, but opted against it, assuming whoever was calling her wouldn't stop until she answered. But it didn't mean she was psyched about it.

    "What?" she said rudely into the device once she answered, not even gazing at who had called her at such an hour.

    "Damn. Someone's cranky in the morning."

    Dylan almost immediately shot up in the bed when she realised who had called her and realised how pissy she sounded.

    "Cora. Hi! Sorry. I am not a morning person." She rubbed at her face tiredly.

    She heard Cora laugh through the phone. "Don't worry. Neither am I."

    Dylan smiled. "So, what are you doing up, then? Is everything okay?"

    "Yeah. I was just wondering if you could get over here." She sounded tired. Almost annoyed.

    "Who are you talking to?"

    Dylan furrowed her brows when she heard another voice over the line.

    "Is that Derek? Is it him? I need to speak with him."

    "It's not Derek!" Cora shouted at the voice. She groaned as she put the phone back to her ear. "Please help me."

    "Is that Stiles?"

    "Yep. He's driving me insane. I'm about to rip his throat out."

    "With your teeth?" Dylan joked. But the line was dead silent. A tumbleweed could've rolled past. "Sorry. Be there soon." Then she hung up the phone. She slammed it down on her bed. Dylan almost forgot where she was. Almost. She looked around her and realised she was in the bunker. And that everything that happened two nights really did happen. It wasn't a bad dream.

    Her mood stumbled down ten folds as she threw her blanket off her. She changed into clean clothes before exiting the bunker with her camera around her neck and her skateboard under her arm. Because she didn't live at home anymore and wasn't sure whether she would have another darkroom to develop her photos, she decided to go with her digital camera instead. Because she still wanted to take photos. And that way, she could see them.

    After turning yesterday, she didn't remember going back into the bunker. Her mind was a haze filled with rage and despair. But unlike every other transformation, she remembered it. She remembered every detail from the transformation to running through the woods. And it was the most relaxing thing she could have ever endured. Running on four legs through the woods. It was magical. Like she could leave behind all of her thoughts. A part of her just wanted to stay as a wolf forever. Live the life of a wild animal. All of her problems would be solved. She wouldn't have to deal with the emotional pain of a human. She could be free.

    As she was walking through the woods, she remembered what happened yesterday. And an intense amount of guilt rushed through her. She remembered her harsh tone and regrettable words toward Isaac who was just trying to help her and be her friend.

    What did I do?

    Running through the woods for however long she did, and getting somewhat of a decent sleep, made her reflect on the choice of words she spoke yesterday and absolutely hated herself for it. Everything in her life was falling apart within a blink of an eye but, no matter what, Isaac was still there.

    Well, probably not after how she treated him yesterday.

    Remembering the events, she pulled out her phone, searching through her contacts for Isaac's number. She rang for a long time, then went to voicemail. "Hi, Isaac. It's Dylan. Um..." She paused for a second, thinking of what to say. Feelings weren't exactly her strong suit. But she needed to apologise for what she said to him.