Chapter 122 - Family bonds

On the seventh day after the massacre of the common people at Qinyang Pass, Qiuci kingdom's zhizi*, Wu Lun was taken to the execution ground to be executed. As the prisoner cart passed through the streets and alleys, the sound of cursing and weeping were incessant while he was smashed with a head-full of bruises and bled by those filled with indignation, and was almost half-dead even before he got onto the guillotine platform.

[T/N: 质子 (Zhízǐ) – a prince sent to be held in a neighboring state as a hostage in ancient China]

At the beginning of the tenth month, Shen-ce Army arrived at Qinyang Pass. The two significantly strategic border cities were taken back in one fell swoop with the amazingly rapid troop's dispatchment.

In the middle of the eleventh month, Chu Zhenghe seized Mengcheng county first, wiping out 30,000 enemies and took 8,000 prisoners while the remaining troops defected the other two cities which redoubled the pressure. At the same time, Wei Tang led 3,000 light cavalry to lure the enemies into the deep canyon and buried alive nearly 10,000 people relying on the dominant position of the terrain. Greatly wounded, the enemy forces retreated to the city and didn't come out again, and fought a defensive warfare with the Shen-ce army.

Hence, the progress of the battle was stalemated. Reports would come every now and then, sometimes even arriving at Wangdu in the middle of the night. Not daring to delay, Zhuo Jin hurriedly sent it to Taiji Palace. When Chu Jinglan turned over to get out of bed, Ye Huaiyang would follow and wake up too. Since she couldn't sleep soundly worrying about Ye Huaili's safety, she would simply drape her clothes to help him moisten the brush and grind the ink stone in front of the imperial table, and paying close attention to the situation in the frontline at the same time.

Thus, she would eventually feel a little sleepy during the day. Though the imperial harem was not busy, there was still a little monster who often pestered her. She would take advantage of his nap time to rest, so that she would have energy to play with him when he woke up.

Since Lu Heng would be coming to check on her lumbar spine today, she didn't sleep. Leaning idly on the beauty couch, she was holding a bowl of papaya harsmar soup that was still steaming with curling vapor while Yue'ya massaged her legs and feet by the side. Unwittingly, they chatted about something else.

" ... Nubi was just passing by and didn't hear all of it. It was said that her days are not very good after she returns to Meng mansion. Being a widow is nothing but mainly because she was expecting the surviving child of that man, the common people outside call her a national traitor after knowing it. She already bitterly hated this child, hence without demur she aborted it."

Since being a mother, Ye Huaiyang inevitably frowned when she heard this kind of thing and said, "She has always been selfish and indulgently self-serving. So it's also not surprising for her to do so, but pity the child, after all, it was also half of her flesh and blood and she actually didn't hesitate in the least bit."

"What's not, even God couldn't stand idly and watch. You didn't know, she suffered massive hemorrhaging after consuming the drugs and almost lost her life. The physician who treated her said she might not be able to conceive again in the future."

Ye Huaiyang was slightly startled, but she didn't say anything more.

If it was in the past, she might be rather apathetic about such things. But since she has Chu Xiang, she could profoundly feel how wonderful it is to have a child who inherits her own and her lover's flesh and blood. Despite his daily mischief, she just loves him to the marrow of her bones. Hence, in her opinion, Meng Chen, who is doomed to have no children in this lifetime, is really woeful.

Well, it's heavenly samsara, so who can explain it clearly?

After finishing the bowl of soup, Ye Huaiyang took out the handkerchief to wipe her mouth and recalled that Chu Xiang had had a little diarrhea these past few days, so she must ask the imperial kitchen to make something light and fresh for him tonight. Lu Heng arrived while she was pondering.