Chapter 117 - Lantern Festival

[T/N: 元宵 (Yuánxiāo) – 15th night of the first lunar month]

It was the Lantern Festival again where the streets and alleys were brightly-colored, coupled with the fluttering snow which set off Wangdu like a wonderland.

This year's newly decorative festive lanterns stretched from the city's main streets to Tingzhou and large three-dimensional lanterns which were extremely fascinating were placed along the shoreline; there were curved neck swimming swan, blue wagging-tail whale and even large patches of endless peach forest with suspended plump pink peaches.

Due to the unprecedented grand scale, many people were attracted to go view it. Even Ye Huaiyang was somewhat itching to go but disinclined seeing her own heavy body, and when she thought about how busy Chu Jinglan had been lately, she put the idea off completely.

Being the Empress now, she could no longer go back to celebrate festivals in the Ye family like she did before, thus she had dinner alone then leaned back on the beauty's couch to read a book for a while. Who knew her eyelids drooped straight down, so she simply closed the book to take a short nap.

Not knowing how long she slept when she seemingly felt weightlessness of her body, as if she had been carried up by someone whose embrace was extremely stable that even the strides didn't sway the least bit like lugging a bunch of willow catkins. So nestling comfortably, she slept deeply again.

Later, Ye Huaiyang was awakened by some noisy voices. Opening her eyes in a daze, she found herself in a narrow and dark place. Before she could distinguish where exactly she was, a hot damp kiss covered her. Emitting a kitten-like sound which was light and delicately soft, the body of the person propping above her tensed up at once.

"Um .. Jinglan?"

Chu Jinglan let go of her panting after taking countless honeyed nectar before caressing the delicate small face and spoke dumbly, "If it isn't inappropriate now, I really want you."

Ye Huaiyang's cheeks became all the more crimson like blood and exuded captivating luster in the dim light, "Your Majesty is improper all the time, what will the imperial son think upon hearing this?"

"When have you been any less improper?" Chu Jinglan shot her a glance, "With such a mother, I have long ceased to harbor ideas of how the imperial son will be once he's born."

"Then Your Majesty go have babies with someone else, other people are proper!" In a huff, Ye Huaiyang turned her body to face the inside of the soft couch and ignored him.

It was rare to see her getting peevish, especially the clumsiness when she turned around, like a plump fish wriggling ashore and totally without a hint of menace. Chu Jinglan couldn't help bursting into laughter and his low voice echoed within every square inch which left Ye Huaiyang unable to pretend not to hear him and immediately became all the more fumingly abashed.

"Still laughing, you get out! Don't sleep here tonight!"

Chu Jinglan laughed even louder and with a hint of teasing, "I really didn't plan to sleep in the carriage."

The carriage?

Raising her head sharply, Ye Huaiyang only noticed the surrounding four walls which were covered with exquisite vague flower patterns that obviously were adornments found only in carriages. As she looked around and propped her body up, the familiar iron arms immediately wrapped around her waist and supported her to slowly sit up straight.

"We're not in the palace? Where are we going?"

"Taking you to view the festive lanterns." Chu Jinglan replied lightly while her eyes lit up suddenly.