Chapter 37 - Formal Visit

Normally, Ye Huaiyang has many things to deal with at home; thus, she would wake up at the same time every morning. She, however, upon arriving at the King mansion was not disciplined. If Yue'ya wasn't waiting urgently outside to wake her up, she wouldn't be able to wake up today.

"Young Miss, you and Wangye have to enter the Imperial Palace today to pay a formal visit to the Queen Mother, so there's no time to lose. Wake up."

Sluggishly, Ye Huaiyang got up from bed without getting dressed but stared at the bedding beside her, seemingly able to stare a hole at the pillow and the quilt. Yue'ya promptly wrung out a damp handkerchief from the basin, then Ye Huaiyang took it and wiped her face, before slowly entering the washroom. Not too long later, a languid voice came from inside.

"Yue'ya, do I look like Lan-lan?"

Feeling confused, Yue'ya turned her head and looked at the bronze mirror when she suddenly convulsed with laughter seconds later - Ye Huaiyang had two gleaming panda eyes!

"This is all Tang Qing Feng's fault for knocking at the door in the middle of the night." Ye Huaiyang yawned and sat in front of the dressing table, allowing Yue'ya to beautify herself and merely exhorted, "Put on a lighter makeup."

Yue'ya was stunned and asked puzzlingly, "Young Miss, don't you want to cover these dark circles? You are going to meet the Queen Mother later."

"That's precisely because I have to meet that old witch that I must look this way." With a scorn on her face, Ye Huaiyang closed her eyes and stopped talking.

After dressing up, Ye Huaiyang moved to the parlor. As soon as she entered, she saw Chu Jinglan sitting at the round marble table. Dressed in the python embroidered official robe with a jade belt and a blue hairpin under the wild goose crown, he looked peerlessly handsome that she couldn't keep her eyes off of him. She stood woodenly at the doorway like a love-struck fool.

"Still not coming over?"

Raising his eyes, Chu Jinglan looked at her like a spring breeze mixed with a wisp of coldness which she seemed unaware of as she took a seat next to him.

Arching the crescent-like eyebrows, she greeted him, "Good morning, husband."

The maidservants in the room were taken aback by her bold address but unexpectedly, Chu Jinglan didn't berate her. After he silently finished a cup of milk, he got up and left. Looking at the direction, it was towards the entrance. Remaining alone to dine in the parlor, Ye Huaiyang ladled two mouthfuls of porridge when she also lost her appetite. Staring at the dozen or so dishes on the table that were barely touched, she called the maidservant next to her.

"Wangye usually doesn't eat much in the morning?"

"Reporting to Wangfei, Wangye eats very little at each three meals and sometimes doesn't even have breakfast." The maidservant paused then added with a smile, "But Wangye has stayed much longer at the table than usual. He must be waiting for Wangfei."

Ye Huaiyang pursed her lips and smiled. Her delicate face was full of joy and she didn't question anymore. Putting down the silver spoon, she walked out, too. The exquisite figure was like fading vision on an ink-wash painting that gradually disappeared behind the heavy door. Soon after, the sound of horses neighed and whips lashed were repeatedly heard. Both people must be in the carriage and on their way to the inner Imperial City.

This was a journey of red flowers, green willows and fluttering butterflies, but neither of them had the mood to admire.

Since a long time ago, it has become a test of their acting skills each time they entered the Imperial Palace. Chu Jinglan had to smile and bow to the murderer of his parents, while Ye Huaiyang had to estrange the person she loved. During this period, both could only be sustained by the word 'patience'. Ye Huaiyang would only feel relieved once she left this oppressive golden jade cage, where she could kiss and hug Chu Jinglan wantonly in private while finding solace in him. Chu Jinglan, however, was unable to be absolved from this. He had to continue wearing this mask until his revenge was avenged and at the same time, watch out for the knife hanging above his head that could fall at any moment. Throughout these six years, how did he spend those thousands of long nights?