Chapter 43 - Daub Medication

Pei Yuanshu's eyes almost popped out when he saw Ye Huaiyang dressed in men's clothing the next day that his whole person immediately felt bad glancing at the eternally icy-cold face of Chu Jinglan.

"Minister Pei, this trip is full of grave responsibility and privately revealing the northward route to others is a felony."

Pei Yuanshu almost knelt down at the entrance of the inn when Chu Jinglan said this. His clear and handsome face blushed like cooked shrimp covered with pea-sized sweats, while his mouth opened and closed mumbling two words 'lowly official' and nothing else was said aloud.

He knew it! He just knew he'd have to take the rap in the end!

He already had an ominous premonition when he walked into this inn yesterday. According to the route he told Ye Huaiyang, it was very likely that she would be waiting for them here. He felt he was somewhat lucky since it was peaceful last night but now he was simply disheartened when he saw her walking down the stairs side by side with Chu Jinglan.

But what could be done about it? Ye Huaiyang threatened him that if he didn't tell the truth she would take Ye Huailing along to Jingzhou! What kind of savage place is that? So, how could he just watch Ye Huaiyang act recklessly and implicate Ye Huailing? He had no choice but to compromise, and now that the secret had come to light, he could only stand here silently and be criticized.

Not only did the culprit not feel remorse in the slightest, she even spoke to him with a pretty glib smile, "Huailing loves to eat the osmanthus honey from Jingzhou. I've come just in time to bring a few bottles back for her, so I'll first thank Lord Pei on her behalf."

Pei Yuanshu was knotted with anger and didn't speak for a long time. Chu Jinglan, however, glanced over at Ye Huaiyang and admonished, "Still haven't stirred enough trouble yet?"

Faking two coughs, Ye Huaiyang straightened her look and stopped teasing Pei Yuanshu but her agile eyes were still glittering with bright delight, like the setting sun shone on the water, brimming with gleaming reflection; matched with the wide long gown, she looked more like a handsome young gentleman.

Naturally, she could no longer hold Chu Jinglan's hand or address him as husband in such a disguise, so she conveniently changed her role and asked in a gruff voice, "Brother, when do we leave?"

As soon as the words died down, Tang Qingfeng came over from the back with a few horses, looking somewhat solemn.

"Master, the official road ahead has collapsed. The county magistrate is organizing manpower to have it clear, and according to the situation, it looks like we won't be able to pass through in a short time. I'm afraid we'll have to go through the mountains."

The mountain road is rugged and the carriage is definitely not usable. If it's riding a horse...

Chu Jinglan turned to look at Ye Huaiyang and asked, "Can you ride a horse?"

"Yes," she replied candidly, then instructed Ci Yuan, "You ride with Yue'ya, she doesn't know how to ride a horse."

Ci Yuan nodded, then took a horse from Tang Qingfeng and asked Yue'ya to come over. Yue'ya took small steps to get under the horse and was lifted up by him to sit atop it. She desperately resisted the urge to shriek and blushed quietly when she was no longer tense.

Soon, they all got on their horses one after the other and set off. Under Chu Jinglan's hint, Tang Qingfeng specially chose a short and gentle mare for Ye Huaiyang. She was able to manage it effortlessly over the gravel and streams, all the way at a brisk and unhurried pace that even Pei Yuanshu was left behind.

Tang Qingfeng was always by her side to protect her. When he saw her skillfully reining and dismounting the horse during a break midway, he inevitably asked out of curiosity, "Madam, when did you learn to ride?"