Chapter 89 - Huge Fire

It is known that most officials of the royal court reside mainly in the northern part of the city where some are only a few feet of rafters and tiles away from the outer Imperial City which only took a few steps to get there, not mentioning how comfortable this is saving lots of troubles and efforts.

But there are inevitably few different individuals amongst these people, for example, Lord Yue of Zhongshu Sheng* whose residence is the only one located amidst the wealthy merchants' household in the east city. Others even say that he is obsolete but he does not care. He will rest at home after every ten days, either painting the streetscapes in the attic or fishing around the small pond in the backyard which is harmoniously joyful.

[T/N: Zhōng Shū Shěng (中书省) – Zhongshu Province is one of the three provinces in the central government system. It is mainly responsible for discussing the drafting of bills with the emperor/Central Secretariat]

The residence's layout stressed on the changes of scenery that every part has a different landscape, which simplicity is elegant and often bedazzles the visitors who come to the residence for the first time, such as Pei Yuanshu and Ye Huaixin.

Both of them mutually reminded each other to regain their senses. Yet when they stepped into the backyard, they found that the person they were looking for was sitting and fishing by the waterside pavilion with a dark green bamboo pole in front of him while a cup of fragrant green tea by his side. He looked relaxed and at ease, as if he could spend the whole afternoon with these two distinct things alone. After craning his neck to glance carefully at him, Ye Huaixin then sighed suddenly.

The fishhook that was not under the water was clearly straight. What kind of fish does this old man want to catch ...

As Pei Yuanshu is an honest person, he didn't look around after coming in but first paid the disciple's greeting then looked strangely at Ye Huaixin, who stood motionlessly before he finally heard him ask, "Teacher, what can you catch with this?"

Stroking his beard, Yue Ting said, "What this Teacher is catching is not the fishes in the pond."

So, he was indeed waiting for the two of them.

Feeling somewhat embarrassed, the big fish scratched his head and said, "Students took the liberty to come here and trouble the Teacher."

The small fish followed with a bow but his tone was much wittier, "Teacher is worthy being the mentor who even so accurately pinpoints the timing of our arrival while those who don't know will even think that you can foretell."

Before the certain person even expressed his stance, Pei Yuanshu glared at Ye Huaixin first – is this the way to talk to the Teacher?

With a smile on his face, Yue Ting hailed them to take the side seats then personally poured two cups of tea and gently pushed the cups before them without the least bit of arrogance but with extreme geniality.

Drinking his tea obediently, Pei Yuanshu was about to compliment when Ye Huaixin's words almost made him spurt the tea out.

"Teacher, you and brother-in-law have indeed fooled me miserably. You are obviously in league yet insist on pretending to be enemies. It's fine to hide it from Yuanshu but why am I, the family member, not told?"

Why is he not a family member? He went to propose marriage to the Ye family last month and is just not officially marrying Ye Huailing yet!

Pei Yuanshu looked at him angrily but he didn't dare to complain. Who does not know that their Ye family acts in collusion and if by chance, Ye Huaixin has nothing to do but talk nonsense in front of his future father-in-law, he will have to take the consequences.