Chapter 69 - Encounter

With lanterns hung on trees while snow-covered willows suspended above the bright bridge, the few main streets in the central Wangdu were brightly lit on Lantern Festival merely due to the annual lantern carnival that was held today.

[T/N: 元宵节 (Yuánxiāo jié) - 15th day of the 1st lunar month]

In the past, Ye Huaiyang was not fond of going out to join this kind of excitement but seeing Ye Huailing go out happily with Pei Yuanshu this year, there was an indescribable restless desire in her heart. After careful reckoning, the number of times she went out to play with Chu Jinglan was simply miserably not many. Except for watching the shadow play in Liuyue City once, she couldn't find any others and she unavoidably felt a little upset at the moment.

While staring blankly with her chin propped up, an arm reached over and swept her into a strong embrace.

"Want to go view and admire the lanterns?"

Lifting her eyes abruptly, Ye Huaiyang noticed Chu Jinglan looking at her with his eyebrows slightly raised while his eyes carried a faint enchanting warmth, like the spring breeze brushing over her heart. She hesitated without response for a long while.

Chu Jinglan teased her again, "Just go if you want to. Why hesitate? This isn't your style at all."

"Knowing why and you still ask!" Ye Huaiyang could not help uttering her annoyance. Her black jade-like pupils stared widely at him, "If we are to go out together, wouldn't the rumor of husband and wife being at odds be broken?"

Chu Jinglan smiled and wrapped her soft tender hand in his palms. The tactile impression of his sturdy warm touch embodied an inexhaustible strength seemingly settling all her restlessness and made her feel extremely relieved.

"What's the problem with that? It's not like you haven't done this before. Just do it again."

"How?" Ye Huaiyang's face was full of doubts. Chu Jinglan uttered a few more words in her ears yet she was still not quite reassured after hearing that, "Will it work?"

Hooking his lips up, Chu Jinglan smiled faintly, "Whether it works or not, it will eventually depends on the superb skill of Yue'ya."

At the end of youshi (5pm-7pm), the two of them went out the door side by side.

This time, Ye Huaiyang did not bring Yue'ya along merely because her clothing was very different from her usual style - a plain auspicious-cloud patterned gown with a cream-white cashmere cloak and a gray rolled-edge small felt hat, strikingly resembling a handsome young gentleman just like the last time she went to Jingzhou.

It turned out Chu Jinglan's idea was having her disguised as a man.

Ye Huaiyang, at first, felt very much inappropriate. It was for the sake of hastening their journey that she toyed around casually at that time and it was fine, as long as superficially she looked passable but it's different here in Wangdu where acquaintances were everywhere. No matter how carefully she wears a disguise, there's still the possibility of being recognized by someone, hence, she does not want to take the risk.

However, after Yue'ya made the necessary arrangement for her and insisted on pushing her out, she was forced to wander around the courtyard but who knew not a single servant recognized her, so much so that none associated her with Ye Huaixin who shared her identical look. Only then was she confident and happily left the mansion with Chu Jinglan.

The two of them did not go far. They went straight to Ye family's Tianque restaurant. Not to mention safety, its location is in the most extensive and longest Xuanwu street in Wangdu where its roof rises to the sky while overlooking the lantern carnival below. The view was simply splendid and there was no better choice than this.