Chapter 62 - Meeting

A few days before the break of the royal court, Gu Yong who was the Senior Official of the Imperial Censor, was impeached and removed from the capital. Sporadically, the Ministry of Civil Personnel made a mistake during the routine inspection and a series of people were punished, including Pei Yuanshu. This succession of events finally made Ye Huaiyang understand what Chu Sanghuai originally meant by having fun.

He was already tired of the frustration caused by all those failures. When it was inevitable that Chu Jinglan would return to politics, he decided to go along with it and let the people from Chu Jinglan's faction surface then disposed of them one by one until Chu Jinglan's wings were clipped completely before finally dealing with the isolated and helpless him (CJL) once again.

But there is one thing that Chu Sanghuai did not expect - Gu Yong was the pawn that is being sacrificed in the plan.

The south gate of Wangdu.

The year is coming to an end and not many people are entering or exiting the city. As it's snowing heavily, the official road outside the city gate looks so boundless that it's almost impossible to see the path, let alone the shadow of a human silhouette.

A simple carriage parked leeward by the broken wall. The carriage's paint was so drab that the original color could not be discerned while the frame and axle were also made of uncostly materials. When the wind blew softly, the carriage swayed from top to bottom. To keep the curtain from getting blown away, the coachman had to grip it hard, appearing extremely dismal.

Dressed in an off-white lined jacket, Gu Yong sat rigidly inside the carriage with both hands folded in his sleeves. The only thing keeping him warm was a palm-sized stove. The small embers in the chamber were glowing faintly red and the heat emitted was not even enough to warm a cup of water up, hence the servant by the side kept puffing and rubbing his hands but he (GY) just stayed serenely reposed, seemingly not the least bit cold.

After a long while, the servant could not help but take the initiative to persuade, "Sir, the weather is really bad and if we delay any longer, I'm afraid we'll be hindered by the snowstorm later."

"Just wait a little longer." With the same unperturbed appearance, Gu Yong blandly spat out those words without opening his eyes. Seeing this, the servant did not speak anymore but merely raised the curtain to take a glance out from time to time, hoping the messenger would appear as soon as possible.

Perhaps the Heavens heard his wish when the clattering sound of hoofbeats coming from the direction of the city gate suddenly resounded closer and gradually became heavier. Not long after, the silhouette of a man and a horse emerged from the blanket of snow, galloping along the icy chips where he soon arrived at the side of the carriage.

"Teacher Gu, this subordinate is late."

The visitor was a young man. Turning over to dismount from the horse, he cupped his hands to salute toward the carriage's window. Seeing the muscles flexed under his thin clothes, he must be a martial-arts practitioner. The servant felt somewhat apprehensive looking at his fierce features yet Gu Yong's expression remained the same as he returned a scholarly bow.

"Troubled little brother to run a trip in this raging snowstorm."

Feeling warmth in the heart, a smile appeared on the solemn face of the young man, "Teacher Gu is too polite. It's an honor for this humble one to deliver the letter for an elder of your virtue and integrity. Several detours were taken merely to prevent being tracked by someone, which caused my delay. Hoping the Teacher is magnanimous enough to forgive this humble one."

Gu Yong responded in a warm voice, "Little brother exaggerated. It does not matter for this old man to wait a little longer. Safety is the priority and your family's Lord must not be implicated."