Chapter 88 - Inform

Summer is rainy and the pouring for the past few days drizzled over the entire Imperial City. The air became extremely humid yet the temperature did not drop much. One would be drenched in sweat and becoming uncomfortably sticky with just a simple movement.

In such weather, there was still someone entering the palace through the Southern Gate in an emblemless airtight sedan chair which was adorned with plain dark blue-green cloth and birch-wood wheels. There was not the slightest gap between the curtains, hence nothing could be seen even if the light passed through it, let alone knowing who was sitting inside.

But it was perfectly obvious to all that this sedan chair bore the imperial favor as it was carried directly without stopping to the East Phoenix Palace and the person who came out from inside the sedan chair at the threshold was undoubtedly a willow-like graceful girl. As she was wearing a big veil hat, not her face or the hair ornaments could be seen nor could one determine which family she belonged to.

The guards were not surprised seeing her as there were always noble ladies from the prominent family who would sharpen their heads* to cram towards the Empress, merely hoping to get acquainted and to rely on this Wang family's big tree, so that their fathers and brothers who are in the royal court will have a better life in the future. It's just that not many of them have such special privilege as most of these delicate noble ladies have to walk over from the palace gate themselves with their lips and faces turned pale when they reach halfway, unlike this person whose chin was raised high and walked with the wind.

[T/N: 削尖脑袋 (Xuè jiān nǎodai) – Describes the ugly state of a person disguising, whitewashing, and desperately drilling the camp/going backward to secure a personal gain]

Jinxiu personally invited her into the hall before ordering someone to serve her some good tea and snacks. After thanking her with a faint smile, she did not touch any of it.

The Empress only slowly stepped out from the inner hall after a wait of an hour. Supporting her round belly, she took the seat of honor while the swaying bright radiance from the golden wings on the phoenix coronet set off her wealth and nobility. She raised her eyes lazily and swept over the untouched food on the long table then couldn't help but laughed out disdainfully.

"Miss Meng is afraid that Bengong will poison you?"

Meng Chen made a curtsy and sat back in her seat before saying, "This subject is after all a newcomer, so it is better to be prudent."

The Empress sneered, "In that case, aren't you afraid that Bengong will just detain you in the palace and make you gone forever?"

"There is nothing this subject can do if Niang-niang wants to do so." The corners of Meng Chen's mouth hooked up slightly as she spoke breezily, "It's just that if this subject dies, it will not only bring the Meng family even more closer to Wangye but also make you miss out many significant secrets which will do you more harm than good. Hence, you should think thrice before you act."

"Presumptuous! How dare you be disrespectful to Niang-niang!"

Jinxiu scowled fiercely and rebuked her angrily while Meng Chen was like hearing nothing with no fear showing on her face. The Empress gazed at her for a long time before she asked all of a sudden, "What secrets do you have to tell Bengong?"

"There are many and merely see what you can give in exchange."

The Empress snorted lightly, "Don't you forget the matters you wrote on the first two letters which caused Bengong going through a lot of trouble yet returned empty-handed. Why should Bengong trust you this time?"

Meng Chen's face darkened slightly. When she thought of Chu Jinglan and Ye Huaiyang pretending so tacitly, the anger that she suppressed with great difficulty started to blaze up again.