Chapter 59 - Warm night

Lights were lit up when night approached and Ye Huaiyang stared fixedly as she contemplated the correspondence in the study.

There were many prerequisites for her success in getting rid of the Bai family; discord among the four prominent families, the neverending secret power struggles, the decline of the Bai family, the resentment of the Empress, the Emperor's suspicion and so on; while also included the manipulation of others' influences. The most significant was that the Bai family was the weakest of the four prominent families who had no chance to fight back. If this was changed to either the Xie's or the Wang family, this plan would definitely have no possibility of success.

There's needless to say about the Wang family as both queens of the Central Palace are theirs. The head of the hundred officials, Shangshu ling* Wang Ying while the one in charge of military and political affairs, Privy Councilor Wang Jian, can be said to have power over the royal court and the common people. As for the Xie family, Xie Yuan is also a figure that can call the shots in the royal court though he is forced to work under Wang Ying. Not to mention Xie Qian, who is married to the one in charge of the Xiaoqi Battalion, King Tao, whose strength can't be underestimated either. The only thing that Ye family can outplay them on is Guanzhong's 200,000 strong cavalry in Ye Huaili's hand.

[T/N: 尚书令 (Shàngshū lìng) - an official title in ancient China who was responsible for the management of the files and documents of the central government]

But what's the use of that? It's fine if there is really a fight. He, however, is of little help in the successive power struggle of the royal court and the imperial harem. Hence, she has to put in extreme effort to handle and ensure that there will be no mishaps if the Xie family really wants to deal with the Ye family.

Nevertheless, she would never have expected Bai Xizhi to go look for help from Xie Yuan in times of crisis. After all, Bai Zhixuan was the reason that Xie Qian could not get into the Imperial Palace back then, which turned both families against each other like water and fire since then.

Let's not talk about the past, it was her miscalculation anyway.

But this Xie Yun was also surprisingly bold. She herself apparently was forced to marry Chu Jinglan that even the Emperor and the Empress did not have any inklings. Yet she (XY) is so sure that she herself (YHY) is on Chu Jinglan's side. There is absolutely no way for her to make such a judgement merely based on the few words of Bai Xizhi. Was it possible that she missed something ...

Ye Huaiyang kneaded her glabella. The strenuous long journey, as well as the oncoming crisis really made her physically and mentally exhausted.

"Ci Yuan."

Once those two words softly spilled out from her lips, movement immediately stirred outside the door where a phantom veered in under the bright light then stood in front of the table of correspondence with drooped brows and restrained gaze, "Young Miss, what is your order?"

"Last time when I've asked Tianqi House to investigate the affairs of Lu Heng and Xie Yun, I vaguely remember that something was not right but I somewhat couldn't remember it clearly, do recount it again."

"Yes." Ci Yuan bowed with his hands cupped and tirelessly recited soon after, "This subordinate and others learned during the investigation process that both fathers of Miss Xie and Physician Lu were good friends, which resulted in this engagement of childhood sweethearts. Miss Xie had to observe the mourning period for three years when her father passed away; hence, the wedding date was delayed. Xie Yuan mentioned this matter of agenda again after he became the head of the family and repeatedly invited Grand Tutor Lu to discuss but was always refused for some reason. Nevertheless, he still went later and it was on that occasion he was poisoned to death by Xie Yuan and a few days later, the new emperor proclaimed his ascension to the throne while this matter was soon buried."