Chapter 110 - Gifts

*Warning: The following chapter contains explicit contents!*

Chu Jinglan's thirtieth birthday arrived unawaringly in the middle of winter of fluttering snowflakes.

As this was his first birthday since his accession to the throne and also a round-off age, the Ministry of Rites wanted to make it grand but he said that the national treasury was tight now thus to keep everything to simplicity. Hence, the birthday banquet was cancelled and ministers commended him repeatedly once they heard about it.

However, even though it is not observed publicly, the family will eventually celebrate it. On the day of his birthday, Ye Huaiyang, who was more proactive than the birthday boy himself, had long dispatched Yue'ya to go to the Imperial Study Room to request for instruction. Yue'ya naturally daren't be negligent and went over quickly. When she arrived at the entrance of the Imperial Study Room, she heard the guard say that Tang Qingfeng was inside reporting some matters. Standing under the porch, she waited for a while when she inadvertently pressed her ear closer when a few vague words transmitted out faintly.

"Your Majesty, those previous birthdays were spent in the Meng family. You think this year .... "

"We don't want to see anyone this year."

Tang Qingfeng hesitated for a moment and said, "Then the few carts of congratulatory gifts that the Meng family just sent over .... "

Without even raising his head, the sleeve of Chu Jinglan's cyan imperial robe moved back and forth on the strong white paper. Thickly-colored ink splashed with the wielding brush and the color of spring instantly took shape. At the same time, his breezy calm voice drifted to Tang Qingfeng's ears too, "You do as its fit and handle it spotlessly. Do not let the Empress know."

"Don't worry, Your Majesty. This subordinate knows."

Kidding, he is not a fool. He can provoke anyone but not that great aunt ah!

When King Qiyang sent four female dancers over in Jingzhou, he was admonished by Ye Huaiyang for not being able to deal with them. That scene was still vivid in his mind and Meng Chen was even a notch more potent than those people. Only if he doesn't want his life would he step on this minefield ....

Thinking of this, Tang Qingfeng couldn't help but feel the chill under his shirt and his footsteps became even more quicker. That few carts were still parked over the palace gate, it would be bad if Ye Huaiyang knew about it. However, what you fear will always come. As soon as he went out, he bumped into Yue'ya that his heart immediately cried out not good when he caught sight of Yue'ya's spiteful gaze, but Yue'ya did not say anything. She just snorted at him and went in.

"Nubi pays respect to Your Majesty and long live Your Majesty."

Chu Jinglan's gaze instantly stiffened when he saw her. He paused and asked, "What's the matter?"

Yue'ya replied in a low voice, "Niang-niang asked Nubi to come deliver a message, asking when Your Majesty will return to Taiji Palace for dinner tonight? She wants to make the longevity-noodles in time, otherwise it won't taste good if it gets cold."

Chu Jinglan's gaze slightly relaxed with wisps of plain pleasure and didn't bother to continue with the remaining strokes for the painting on the table. Dropping the writing brush immediately, he walked out from behind the table before saying, "We just knew she would be bustling around, We are going back now."

After saying that, he took the lead out of the room while the black hemline drifted in wake. Yue'ya was radiant with joy and about to turn to catch up when the glance from the corner of her eye accidentally peeked at the painting and felt a chill for no reason — it was clearly a flourishing spring scene but the forceful strokes of the brush were so poignant and almost seeped through the paper, revealing a thoroughly murderous aura!