Ch. 49 Helpless

Rehan's POV

"Sir please sign the consent form so we could start operating the patient."

A white paper was forwarded before me but I was too numb to go through the questions written on it.

My hands....... That carried her almost unconscious body here, were still shivering from the loss of her warmth.

"Rehan......" I heard Viraat's tense voice followed by a gentle shake on my shoulder.

Looking at him, I found him giving me a concern look before passing the same document to me for signing.

I was barely able to hold the pen due to my trembling fingers. But somehow I managed to sign it. He then submitted it to the lady standing infront of us who collected them and disappeared behind that same gate where they took her few seconds earlier.

I didn't wanted this. I never wanted it to happen to her. Not even in my dreams. That's why I did everything I could in my power. But still....... Here she is...... In this condition....... All because of me.

"Be strong Rehan....... She will be fine." He rubbed my back while I just stared at the gate standing in the middle of the corridor.

"Will she?? Even after whatever I did." I couldn't help but ask brokenly, not only to him but to myself also.

"We both know why you did that. Hmm........" He engulfed me in a comforting hug to soothe my aching heart.

Only if i could tell him the pain is far more than one could imagine. And the cure to this pain is lying inside right now.

"Rehan........" We both turned around on hearing several distinct voices and found my family rushing towards us through long hallway accompanied by her's.

"Is Kritika okay? Aman told us something happened to her. But didn't said what?" Dad asked reaching close to us.

I felt myself getting cold due to emotion numbness. Not because I was afraid that they will know what I did with her. But because I was feeling too scared to memorize all those terrifying events that took place in past few hours.

Her tears......... Her pain........ The hatred for me in her eyes......... And the worst one, fear of loosing her........

Forever..........

"Beta Is she fine??" Her father questioned right after Dad holding my arms with hope bringing me out from reliving that worst nightmare.

Now what should I tell him? That I behaved like a bastard to his daughter. And I am the reason why she's here in this hospital....... Inside the operation theatre.........

"Viraat...... Atleast you say something." Mom looked at him when they received no response from me. Not even a blink.

"Aunty that........" He hesitated. As he knew, the revelation will change a lot of equations today.

"Re thum dono ke muh me dhahi jaam gayi hai ke? Bolte kyun na kuch?" Bua Dadi came forward. She also grew irritated on our lack of response.

( Does both of you have curd in your mouth? Why don't you say something? )

"Aman...... Vaa chhori ka naam ke tha jisne Beendani ka phone uthaya tha aur humne yahan aane bola tha." She then turned to Aman who looked behind us.

( Aman......... What was that girl's name who picked Kritika's phone and asked us to come here. )

It didn't take me much time to understand that they were talking about Nithya, who helped us all along but was standing quietly in a corner the entire time. If it was some other day, I would have definitely snapped at her for informing the family members without asking me beforehand.