Training Milo

Back home, Simon took Milo from Cassie's arms and headed straight into the cabin, leaving her standing with her hands on her hips. Cassie scoffed 'I've been dumped for a dog', before groaning and following him into the cabin.

Simon was already sitting on the sofa with Milo snuggled in his arms, gazing lovingly at the sleeping dog. Cassie observed them with a wide grin, her hands on her hips.

'Ahem, Simon, could you please bring your googoo eyes with me and help me bring in our groceries and Milo's things from the truck?' she asked teasing him.

'Piss off' Simon growled, placing Milo gently onto the sofa and stood up with an exaggerated huff. He glared at her as he walked past and slapped her ass as he went outside to the truck.

Settled into the house, groceries put away and kettle on, Cassie leaned back on the counter and observed her big beast of a man, melt into a puddle as the little dog woke up and looked up at him. 

Simon carefully picked him up and held him in his arms. Little Milo, proceeded to lick his face enthusiastically, causing Simon to let out a loud belly laugh.

Cassie prepared some food for Milo and set his bed out near the wood burner, bringing Simon a cuppa. Simon was already besotted with the dog and was checking out some commands with him.

'They gave me a list of what commands he had been learning before he had his accident' Cassie informed him, handing him the papers.

Simon grinned and kissed her 'I've worked with some Malinois before on military manoeuvrers. I always wanted to have one myself, but the Task Force was never the right place to train my own. This little guy is a real smart one' Simon announced proudly.

'He's really taken to you, Simon. I'll try not to get jealous' Cassie said kissing Simon's cheek and scratching Milo's ear.

Simon chuckled 'You're always going to be my favourite. No-one's replacing you, love' he said with a wink.

After eating, they relaxed on the sofa happily playing with Milo and his favourite toy. Simon looked at Cassie lovingly 'Thanks for doing this sweetheart' he whispered, kissing her several times on the lips.

'It was a bit of an impulse. I overheard Jack talking about him and I had to ask. As soon as he told me about his accident and that he couldn't continue training, I thought, why couldn't we take him? I figured it'd be great to have a dog here for protection and for going hunting and I thought you'd really enjoy training him' Cassie admitted.

'Hmmm, I had been thinking about suggesting you get a dog so that you wouldn't be here on your own when I was deployed. Never got around to asking you' Simon mused.

When it was time for bed, Simon took Milo out to do his business, before settling him in his bed, ordering him to stay. He petted him and praised him for being a good boy, before getting himself ready for bed.

Simon was quick to show his appreciation to Cassie, with a barrage of kisses, getting them both hot and bothered. Feeling content and satisfied after a passionate session, they freshened up and cuddled in bed. Simon kissing her temple and forehead, he whispered 'Love you so much sweetheart'.

'I love you too Simon' Cassie responded sleepily.

Simon lay and listened to Cassie's breathing soften as she fell asleep, before slowly moving his arm and inching closer to the edge of the bed.

'Where do you think you're going mister?' Cassie said softly, catching him in the act.

'Just going to check on Milo, make sure he's okay' Simon said sheepishly, realising he wasn't being as stealthy as he thought.

'Get back here, now' Cassie ordered, trying to stifle her giggles. 'He's fine, you don't have to check on him, Simon' she scolded.

'Just wanna make sure he's not scared being in a strange house' Simon pleaded.

Cassie giggled at his pleading. 'Simon Riley, I never imagined I'd see you get soft over a puppy' she teased.

'Not going soft' Simon replied, sounding like he was pouting, only making Cassie giggle more.

Simon relented and lay back down, pulling Cassie into his arms 'It's gonna be your fault if that poor puppy is traumatised' he teased, nibbling at her neck.

'Simon, don't you dare' she replied in feigned annoyance before laughing and lightly slapping the side of his head.

Despite Simon's concerns for Milo and his new home, he slept right through the night, with no barking, whining or signs of distress. Cassie figured that once she was asleep, Simon probably did go through and check on him anyway.

The following day after breakfast, Cassie and Simon took Milo for a long walk around the property to start familiarising him with his new home. Milo appeared to love every minute, exploring every shrub, critter hole and tree. He was definitely enjoying being in his new home.

Cassie loved watching the two of them while doing her chores. Simon confidently and enthusiastically took Milo through his training exercises every day, always mindful of Milo's healing leg. Simon showered the dog with praise after each activity completed and the little dog took part with boundless energy, lapping up the praise and treats.

Cassie had to remind Simon to take a break, warning him not to overdo it, mindful of his own healing injuries. Simon scoffed at the fussing, but Cassie could see that after a period of time standing or walking, he would be taking his weight off of his injured leg and would limp back to the porch, obviously in pain.

After a month, taking advantage of a break in the worsening weather, Simon, Cassie and Milo headed out for supplies and stopped off to visit Greg and Mary. They were thrilled to see how happy and healthy Milo was looking and the obvious bond that had grown between him and Simon. 

Cassie was very happy to tell them that they wanted to give Milo a forever home and sat completing the paperwork, with Mary. Greg, Simon and Milo headed off for a stroll around the property, while Mary showed Cassie her round the vegetable garden.

Mary and Cassie were sitting outside when the men arrived back. With warm goodbyes, Cassie, Simon and Milo jumped back into the truck and headed home. 

'You and Greg seemed to be getting on. Good chat?' Cassie asked curious, since she knew Simon wasn't great with conversation.

'Yeah it was. Greg was telling me about the base and his work training the dogs. Told him about some of my deployments working with Malinois. Was a good chat' Simon mused watching the road ahead.

'You okay? I can hear you thinking' Cassie teased.

Simon looked at her with a smile 'Yeah, Greg asked if I'd be interested in getting involved with training some of the dogs'. he said softly, glancing at Milo snoozing in Cassie's lap.

Cassie's eyes widened in surprise 'Wow Simon, you'd be a great dog trainer. Are you gonna do it?' she asked feeling excitement bubbling.

'Hmm, was planning on talking to you about it at home. Would mean building safe kennels outside for em and doing some training with Greg. Would have to register with the base too, so i'd need Price to give me a reference' he explained with a thoughtful look.

Cassie giggled 'Look at you planning for a big job interview' she teased.

Simon chuckled and shook his head 'Cheeky bugger' he scoffed.