Just In Time

Disembarking from the transport at the New Mexico base, Ghost wearily made his way to the compound. After a short debrief with Price, he was ordered to eat and rest. Ghost ate, drank his tea and showered within a confusing mess of emotions.

He was sad, angry, despondent and full of regret of having not confessed his feelings while he had the chance. His thoughts soon tuned towards criticism of himself, that had he screwed up this chance with her? Would she hate him for breaking his promise to be here for her? He cursed his negativity and his bad luck resolving to find a way of finding her again, he wasn't going to let her go. 

Getting ready for an early night, he glanced out of the window before closing the blinds, stopping in shock as he saw her truck still parked outside. She was still here. Without giving it another thought, Ghost barrelled out of his room heading to her door.

Worm was sitting in bed watching a documentary on her laptop, when someone knocked on her door. It was late, so her heart dropped at the thought of news about Ghost. Her thought going automatically to...is he hurt? 

Worm cautiously approached the door and opened it, shocked to see Ghost standing there. A surprised smile on her face, she quickly said 'I didn't think I'd see you' and gestured him to come in. 

Ghost seemed quiet and whispered, relieved 'You were supposed to leave this morning, I thought I'd missed you'

'Price asked me to stay another day' Worm said.

Ghost moved over to sit with her on the bed. He was so elated, all he could do was smile under his mask, not saying a word. Worm looked up at him smiling 'You okay, you hurt?' she asked hoping he wasn't. 

Ghost replied 'No I'm good, better than good'. Worm asked him about his mission and why he'd been delayed, but she was so happy that Price had asked her to work another day. As if reading her mind, Ghost asked 'How come Price asked you to stay longer?

Thinking it was best to leave Price to give him an update, she simply answered 'he had some new intel come in he wanted me to look over'. Ghost nodded before joking 'He's gotta get his money's worth'. There was so much Ghost wanted to say to Worm, his thoughts and feelings bubbling up ready to be expressed, but panic started to rise with them and instead of words, they rolled up into a large solid ball and stuck in his throat, rendering him speechless.

Worm, turned to Ghost, sensing his mood being low. 'Ghost, I just wanted to say thank you, for everything you've done for me. You looked after me, made sure I was okay and even took me hiking to make sure I could get out and enjoy the hills. I know you don't do friendship, but I really feel like I've had a friend while I was here. I wanted to say thank you for trusting me enough to tell me about your past and for allowing me get to know you better. I know how protective you are about your identity and your life, so I'm really grateful to have had the chance to spend time with you and see a glimpse of the man behind the mask'. Worm took a deep breath after the long statement, feeling a little embarrassed by her own words. 

Ghost sat in stunned silence at the young woman's words. He could feel his heart swell and fill his whole body with warmth. He also felt a strong sense of sadness and regret that their time was coming to an end, there was so much more he wanted to say, wanted to share. He wanted her to see all of him and allow her warmth and acceptance touch every part of his being.

'Bloody hell, Worm. I don't know what to say to that. I was such an arse when you came here, but you refused to let me get to you. You wormed your way under my skin like a bloody little parasite' he said chuckling. 

'Hey, I'm being nice about you, don't be such as ass' she protested, lightly slapping his arm.

 Ghost laughed at this 'as much as I hate to admit it, you grew on me, you surprised me and not much surprises me. I don't usually do friends, but you I made an exception for'. He said looking down at her. Worm blushed, causing Ghost to chuckle.