39: Love above everything

I woke up with a sheet of soaring pain draping my body

I woke up with a sheet of soaring pain draping my body. The very first thing that tears apart the haze of my eyes is the white sterile ceiling, and the low drone of machines surrounding me. As I wander my eyes around a little, I see the drips attached to me. I'm in a white hospital gown. It's a hospital room. 

I survived. 

The guardian angel saved me.

Before a smile could appear on my face, a single thought pierces through the fog of my mind. The scene still haunted me, how I watched myself covered in my own blood.

My baby.

Panic surges through me, my chest heaving as I make an attempt to touch my belly. 

"Zoya?" I hear a desperate female voice calling me, but I ignore it. 

"No, no, no." Tears pooled in my eyes, trailing down like rivers as I lifted up the gown. I see my belly dressed in bandages. The blood doesn't come out now, the wound is secure.

"No, no." I shake my head, repeating in an attempt to get up but the condition of my body didn't let me. 

Someone grabs me tenderly.

"Reya?" I whisper her name as I see her sitting next to my bed, barely able to part my lips. She's holding my hand. Tears are rolling down her face and she can't stop staring at me.

"I lost it again, didn't I?" I mumble, my words breaking apart, choking me as I held her.

Reya shakes her head, "You didn't." She tells me, and I cry another time. "Your baby is fine."

Confusion, emotions, all of it hit me like a giant wave. "Someone stabbed me." I breathe, "Someone was trying to kill—

"Yes, but both of you survived." she smiles through her tears, and I gained relief. Untamed relief.

"I thought I lost you!" Reya breaks into tears and hugs me putting her head to my chest. I groaned in pain, the most to my stomach.

"I thought I died." 

"Not a joke, Zoya." Reya breaks the hug and looks at me wiping her tears aggressively. "You laid between life and death, plenty of blood loss, there was no certainty that you'd survive. Do you know how long I've cried? I couldn't breathe while you were being operated!"

I smile at her, "You do love me so much. Don't you?"

She tilts her head, showing disappointment in me. "All of it for someone who doesn't even deserve it." She shakes her head, scoffs. "You could've lost your baby, Zoya. You were at the verge of losing all of it, again."