38: See-saw of demise

Zoya can't comprehend anything that is going on

Zoya can't comprehend anything that is going on. She tries hard to camouflage herself within the fake ecstasy she'd been expecting, but the moments have been surpassing her true happiness awfully. Her mind smelts away whilst the officer's rendering upon arresting Nischay, and she doesn't know for what. 

"Ms. Shefali has lodged a complaint that you've sexually abused her Mr. Malhotra."

Dread crawls through Nischay's veins, not because he was accused of such blasphemous crime but because Zoya was right with him. She was listening to everything, every accusation that was made against him and yet she doesn't say a word all the time. 

"Do you even hear yourself, officer?" Nischay asks the officer, trying hard to act calm yet an unspoken fear rises in him every second. "You're mistaken."

Nischay has his stern will to turn around and run to Zoya and tell her that everything they're saying is false but he's not permitted to do any of it. 

"It'd be better for both of us if you cooperate, Mr. Malhotra. Or else, we have our ways." 

"You can't barge into my house and accuse me of such horrible crime without any fucking proof, officer." his throat dries, eyes nearly coming out alive to devour the mankind, and his jaw clenched hard, "Whatever this is, it's ridiculous." A sheet of cold sweat drapes Nischay's forehead, wondering the worst possible outcomes if he really had to go to jail. It terrifies him. So much that death seems a better option than to be a rapist in his wife's eyes. 

"Look how you still haven't changed, brother." A new voice approaches, catching the attention all to itself. 

Shefali walks into the scene, her state worse than miserable. Zoya suddenly can't breathe. A shudder worms its way through her veins when she witnesses Shefali barely able to walk when she was fine and fit and happy just a few days ago. Her clothes are torn off, body is draped in bruises and her lips are bleeding. 

No one would deny that she wasn't raped. 

As Shefali grappled upon the weight of her numbness, she nearly falls down the floor, but was fortunately caught by Zoya. She helps her stand properly, eyes nearly crying to witness a woman like this, and more to know that her husband was accused as the one who did this to her.

She didn't want to believe it. 

Please don't ever doubt my love for you, Zoya. It's the only thing I'm sure of. 

Neither of them knows where and how this all had gone downhill. 

Zoya wondered, if she was sitting on the wrong edge the whole time.