14: Rasleela

"Don't cry, Avi. Neither role is bad, it's okay." I tried to shush him, patting his back but his sobs just intensified.

"What's wrong?" I heard Nischay's voice from behind, as I was hugging this little crying cow.

Nischay bends down on his knees like me, settling himself to Avi's level, who was crying in my arms wearing a cow costume. "What happened, champ?" He asks feathering his hand over Avi's fluffy costumed back. The anger on his face has vanished, and a thick layer of love has washed over this concerned Chachu.

I had told you, Nischay loved him as much as he wanted to tie him up in a dungeon.

Little boy was so vulnerably crying in my embrace that he couldn't reply. Nischay pressed his lips together, sighing softly, as he got no answer. His face also displayed his bewildered disappointment when he saw Avi in a cow costume.

I was literally looking like I was hugging a freaking real little cow.

Nischay looked up at me, defeated as Avi wasn't ready to let go off me. Little boy was ashamed of showing his crying face to his Chachu.

"Why is he crying?" Nischay said softly, almost mouthed to me.

I didn't want Avi to feel embarrassed because this man has made me so many times, and I know how it feels to feel embarrassed.

I let out sigh, and leaned closer to Nischay only so I could whisper in his ear. "He was given the role of Krishna, but we got late so they passed the role to some other kid. And he was sternly told to be a.........." I gulped before speaking, controlling what I presumed was my laugh. "A freaking cow, that Krishna would be sitting on."

I had a hard time controlling my laugh.

Nischay sighed, pauses, and tilted his face a little only so he could brush his warm breath against my face. I went warm and I loathed it as much I adored it. I am not convinced he means any of it. And that's the reason I hated. "Where were you when they were passing him the costume of........" he pauses, controlling his —I guess— laugh.

"......of a freaking cow?" I finished for him and ended up smiling at him, shamelessly.

I was so cruel to laugh at such a moment. "I'm sorry." He sighed, as I still couldn't stop smiling.

There is another reason for my laugh, because it reminds me of us.

"Why do we look so blushing?" I laughed as I saw our picture with my friends. "You're the worst camerawoman, Shivi." I eyed her, and she looked away giving me a nonchalant smile. We were all smiling, happily swirling in our lehengas, as we clicked selfies. We still had a lot of time to the play.

"Your skin color isn't matching with us, Neha. It doesn't even match to our dress. You should've worn foundation for our sake." I watched Neha looking down sadly as Ananya, one of my classmates said sternly to her.