Prologue

Marking the last report of the day, my body gave up and I laid my head back on the chair

Marking the last report of the day, my body gave up and I laid my head back on the chair. Today was a tiring day and I as always overworked myself. Whatever happens, you can never leave your patients. Twenty missed calls from Dad. It's 2 at night and I am still not home. I'm so tired that I feen lazy to even move. I close my eyes letting out a deep tired sigh. I wish someone could massage my head, and my eyes that feel so warm. I must probably be having fever. 

I almost had fallen asleep when the door of my OTD cabin opened. I sighed again going back to sleep. It's Riya, my companion, my bestfriend. She never leaves my side. 

"I told you to get some sleep. Why are you so stubborn, Zoya??" she is younger than me, but has a greater IQ than everyone else. We just celebrated her 22nd birthday a month ago, yet she behaves like she's my elder sister. "Okay lesson of the day. I understand, Didi." I heard her laugh as she scoffed. She massaged my head slowly gently, rubbed my eyes which were feeling warm. No wonder I love her so much. 

The cabin was silent as she was massaging my head slowly. But all of a sudden, my stomach growled out the blue, making me widen my eyes in shame. The silence in the cabin was broken by the loud growl of my hungry tummy. Riya laughed loudly while I felt my cheeks burn in embarrassment. "Stop laughing, you little!" I nearly yelled at her hiding my flushed face. 

"See, that happens when you starve for a whole day." She laughs holding her stomach. Gosh, I'm so embarrassed. "Stupid!" I cursed at my own stomach under my breath. 

it's her habit to curse at inanimate things, don't mind. she isn't crazy.

I have to eat something. I am hungry as hell. So, I called the first person that came into my mind. Who matters the most for me. The first call didn't connect. The second too. Third and fourth time I called. Still the line was busy. Sometimes I regret my life choices so much. But glad, the fifth time he picked up. 

"Hey, Zoya!" his voice was sleepy, and hoarse that means he was sleeping.
"Are you awake?" Such a stupid question even when I know he isn't. 
"No, why did you call?" he simply denied the question. 
"Ah...n-nothing! I just called to say good night." I laughed it off. I lied. 
"Oh...okay, good night. Sweet dreams!" he said.
"Actually-" He cut the call before I could speak. 

I sighed before putting the phone down on the table. 

The screen of my phone buzzes. Dad is calling again. I sighed before picking up the call. 

"Hello?" I said and I could hear mom speaking and yelling in the background. My dad yelled at me as always for being late, and that I should reach home as soon as possible or else he would come and drag me out of here himself. My dad is so overprotective of me. Of course, I am the only child of my mom and dad. 

But that doesn't matter right now. What matters is that I am insanely hungry. Currently 2 am, month of January, it's chilling cold outside and almost nothing would be available at night. But I know there is someone who would be right there for me no matter what, where and when.