CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

" What do you mean they are dead ? ". Rebecca mumbled, unable to accept the fact that her lover died in war. " Answer me ! ". Rebecca snapped at Non who held his silence, a thousand scenarios ran inside her mind, thinking about the painful death her lover might have had.

" The leader captured the troops ". Non gulped as he started answering the question, Rebecca took a sharp breath in but didn't interrupt Non when he started speaking. " The death knights leader had pointed his sword at Sarocha and others were held hostage by his men ". Non explained, Rebecca felt like she wasn't able to stand, the news broke her heart but she stood her ground firmly.

" You ran away from your responsibilities ? You left your fellow men to die ? ". Rebecca grabbed Non's collar and took out her anger on him, it wasn't like that a sole man could have defeated the entire force and saved his teammates but he still chose to run away rather than die a hero.

" I couldn't sacrifice my life ". Non admitted ashamedly of himself, Rebecca scoffed and rolled her eyes, she knew that Non was not fit for the army from the start. " And you call yourself a soldier ? ". Rebecca pushed Non away with a disgusted look on her face, the king didn't stop Rebecca as he felt that her reaction was just.

" I value my life more than this ". Non admitted, he thought that when the moment came he would be able to face this fear of his but he was wrong, now he had to state the truth in front of the royal family before the blame of more deaths fell onto his shoulders.

" If that is what you want then you have no place in the army and the royal palace ". Rebecca announced, Non hung his head low and nodded, knowing that nobody can save him from this, it was the final decision, he was being kicked out of the royal palace by the princess.

" I am sorry ". Non sincerely apologized which had no effect on the princess as well as the king. " It is too late to apologize, you should realise the weight of your reckless decision and you should be ashamed of yourself for leaving the battlefield like a coward ". The princess stated, Non hung his head low as he knew he deserved this.

" Leave before the dusk, I don't want your presence in the palace anymore ". The princess said, she looked back at her father, knowing that she still didn't have authority to make changes in the army. The king nodded, he would have thrown out Non a long time ago if it wasn't for Freen who took his side.

" Leave ". The king said with finality and Non had no position to oppose his decision, with a nod Non made his way towards his quarters that he shared with his fallen comrades, he loathed himself as well but when he came face to face with a situation where he had to risk his life, his fear won.

" Rebecca ? ". The king called out for his daughter who seemed to be in trance after hearing that her guard died, Rebecca ignored her father and was about to head to her chamber when someone ran up to them at a frantic pace.

He was the soldier assigned to fire canons at the death knights to create a diversion for Freen and her team to pass through.

" We have some news ". The man huffed, it seemed like he had been running for a long time, Rebecca and her father shared a look before nodding, allowing the man to take a seat before he spoke, he guided himself to the front yard bench and took his seat.

" The death knights have retreated from the kingdom ". The soldier stated, the king and the princess couldn't believe their ears because just before this Non said that all of their soldiers were killed.

" They retreated within a night ? ". The king asked and the man nodded, Rebecca wasn't believing this, she needed confirmation. " There were no soldiers in their tents and no sign of their artillery when we checked this morning ". The soldier stated, for a second Rebecca heaved a sigh of relief when the threat posed by death knights seemed to fade with their presence.