CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE

The news reached the palace that the princess's guard along with the soldiers she took are dead, killed by the leader of the death knights as they refused to join their side or surrender.

Along with their dead bodies, one notice for the king was given, which clearly stated that he should be ready to give up his throne in a day or it will be taken by force.

" Princess ? ". Irin knocked on the bedchamber door, her heart was heavy, she knew that she lost her lover but couldn't weep as she didn't share a public relationship with her.

" The king wants to see you immediately ". Irin mumbled the information she was sent to give to the princess, she sighed and shook her head when no response came from her. " Irin ? ". The princess opened the door, the dark circles underneath her eyes meant that she hadn't slept a wink in these two days.

" Meeting chamber ". Irin bowed down in front of the princess, afraid to look into her eyes as she feared that if someone gazed into her eyes would know the pain she is in right now.

Rebecca awkwardly nodded, she doesn't feel good today, she could feel the sadness from the way Irin walked, she decides not to think too much about it. She headed straight towards the meeting chamber, expecting to hear good news from her father, expecting to see her lover return victorious to the palace.

" Father ? ". Rebecca entered the meeting chamber only to see her father sitting with his head in his hands, a notice lying on his table. " Father ? ". Rebecca called out for her father again, this time with a heavy heart, she could sense it coming.

" Rebecca it is time ". The king looked up and smiled at his daughter, the smile not reaching his eyes, Rebecca gulped down. " We have to say goodbye ". The king added, he was going to hide the fact that the death knights asked him to surrender.

" Father, what are you talking about ? ". Rebecca nervously chuckled, in some way she knew what news was coming, she was preparing herself to hear it.

" We have to say goodbye to Sarocha and others, they are waiting for us in the front yard ". The king stood up and placed the notice inside his desk drawer, away from his daughter.

" What ? ". Rebecca said in denial, the king sighed and held his daughter's hand in his own as he walked both of them to the front yard.

The princess looked at her father who just dragged her towards the front yard, Rebecca's breathing picked up pace. When she stood in the front yard, the broad daylight hitting her face made her squint her eyes.

There stood the Queen, along with her maids, including Irin, then Rebecca looked to the other side, there stood a lot of families crying, then Rebecca looked at her father.

" I want to thank you ". The king started, he directed his words towards the families that stood crying, holding each other up. " Your children sacrificed themselves for the kingdom, it is something which I will never forget ". The king added, Becca took a sharp breath in as she realised what was actually happening.

She ignored what her father kept on saying as she looked around, she found the bodies lying on the ground, covered in the kingdom's flag, Rebecca tried to locate her lover's body as the faces were left uncovered.

The ground underneath Rebecca's feet slipped as she found her lover, lying there lifeless, Rebecca fell to her knees as she gasped for air.

" No... ". She stated, clutching onto her chest as the pain was unbearable, every day she prepared herself to face the pain it will bring but when the moment came, it was nothing like what she had expected and prepared for.

Rebecca crawled on her knees and reached for Freen's body, she was aware that all eyes were on her but as she had made her decision before that she won't weep in secret, won't mourn in secret, she would step up and claim to be Freen's lover.