The Crow and His Kitten

Beep. 

Beep. 

Beep.

A familiar sound awoke you. You were lying in a hospital bed, your vitals being monitored. You had a tube shoved down your nose, an IV inserted into your hand, as well as other monitoring devices. Your entire body felt achey, like you had been in bed for months.

Your heartbeat quickened and the monitor started going off when you saw someone asleep at the foot of your bed. The sun had set, so you couldn't see their face. 

The heart monitor woke them with a gasp, and they nearly ran towards the lamp by your bedside. Once they turned it on, you exhaled in relief.

It was Akechi.

“Y/N…you're awake…” He said, his eyes beginning to mist.

You opened your mouth to comfort him, then stopped short when your feelings turned to confusion. “A-aren't you dead?”

Akechi stopped, blinked in surprise, then he grinned. His grin turned into a laugh he tried to suppress, but he ended up bursting into a fit of giggles.

“Goro, what–”

Akechi kissed you on the forehead. “I'm sorry, you must be so confused.”

You blinked.

Akechi stroked your hair lovingly. “You've been in a coma since December,” he said. “You passed out immediately after I got shot. Morgana had followed us into the engine room on request of Ren when he thought we were taking too long to meet back up. He patched me up and I carried you out of the palace. I ended up…um…not going through with my plan.”

He didn't…

…kill Shido?! 

“You look surprised,” Akechi smiled. “Didn't I tell you I'd give up everything to watch over you if you fell asleep for a long time?”

“What about…Maruki? What happened?” 

“When his palace vanished, we all got our missing memories back,” said Akechi. “I don't know who was withholding them, but it was very convenient for Maruki.”

“I…have an idea who,” you said bitterly, recalling your fight with “Adam”. “I'll explain my side of everything later, but just know that I think Maruki was being puppeteered too.”

Akechi shook his head. “I don't care about that, to be honest. I'm alive, you're awake, and I just–”

You sneezed. “Goro, I want this tube out now.” The more you spoke the more uncomfortable it got.

Akechi immediately went to get a nurse. He was pushed from the room and you were attended to by doctors. He was eventually let back in, and you felt a lot better.

“They said they want to monitor me for a few days,” you said weakly.

“That's for the best,” said Akechi.

“Um…can you tell me the date?” You asked, a bit fearful.

Saturday, February 4. Evening.

Akechi kissed you again on the forehead. “It's the day after we fought Maruki. I had found your passed out body in the palace, but when I had reached the entrance you were gone. My memories had returned by then, so I rushed to find you sleeping at the hospital.”

You felt warm inside, and relieved. “Can we meet with Ren when I get out of here? There's something I need to talk to you two about.”

Monday, February 6. After School.