Security Level 99%

Monday, October 10. Evening-Goro Akechi

Akechi detested it when Shido requested to see him in person. This particular visit though had Akechi sweating bullets. He had never failed to eliminate a target, let alone go against Shido's direct order.

"What happened, Akechi?" Shido's voice was dark and unpleasant.

Akechi's entire body filled with fear. Akechi had seen countless things, faced countless foes, but other than the Reaper itself, Shido's disapproval was the only thing that had him stricken with terror. "There was a hang-up." Akechi's focus went fully onto keeping his outward composure.

"What possibly could have happened?" Shido demanded.

"The Phantom Thieves," said Akechi with disgust. "They turned back and prevented me from killing Okumura. The only thing I could do was to drive Okumura berserk."

Shido's brow furrowed, but he seemed considerably more relaxed. Akechi searched his face, trying to desperately figure out what he was thinking. Did he see through Akechi's lie? Akechi wished he would have put a bullet through Okumura's head. But that bullet would have also killed his relationship with Y/N.

She had become a serious liability now.

"Are the Phantom Thieves proving to be too great of a threat to you?"

Akechi shook his head. "No, sir. I can't fight them with my full strength. You haven't given the order to kill them yet."

Shido rubbed his chin. "Hm. Okumura is still in a coma. When he wakes up he'll go berserk like they normally do. I suppose that will discredit anything he may confess afterwards. I don't like the damage control we're going to have to do with this. I'm docking your pay for this job."

Akechi bowed. "Understandable, sir."

Late Night

"Goro! Where were you?"

You rushed to him when he entered the front door.

"..." Akechi's expression was empty and tired. You knew something horrible had happened.

"Goro…what's wrong?" You took his briefcase and set it on the couch. You then returned, and after Akechi had removed his shoes, you started unbuttoning his uniform.

"Where do I start?" He said bitterly. 

You removed his jacket. You started to leave to hang it up, but Akechi pulled you close to him. His back gently hit the front door, and your folded arms carrying his jacket were pressed against him.

"Let me hang this up first," you laughed softly. 

"You'll stay by my side forever, right?" 

You tilted your head to the side. "Why are you asking this all of a sudden?"

"What if I betrayed you?"

"You've had every opportunity to betray me," you said. "But it's not me I'm worried about you betraying." You poked him in the chest. "It's you."

"That's…bullshit," Akechi grumbled.

"I mean it," you said. "You're spread so thin trying to please everyone, even people you hate."

"You…can tell I saw Shido, can't you?"

You sighed. "It's easy to tell when you do. And I expected it would happen soon, since you failed your mission with Okumura."

"It went surprisingly well," said Akechi. He gently pushed you away from him and walked towards the kitchen. "What's for dinner?"

You draped his jacket over a chair and followed him. "Here, I'll heat this up for you."