Saltwater

Monday, August 29. Daytime.

It was finally the day of the awaited beach trip. The week or so before this, you enjoyed what was an actually relaxing remainder of your summer vacation. Futaba had successfully bullied the fake Medjed, earning the Phantom Thieves massive success in the public eye. It made you feel kind of special every time you heard people talking about the Phantom Thieves. Akechi, along with you and the rest of your friends, made a great effort to spend time with Futaba. She was warming up to you, and her ability to leave the house was getting better.

Akechi stopped skipping work after you had scolded him. He would still disappear some nights. You never asked where he was, especially not when his face was ragged and grim from the dark sins he had committed. You embraced him without judgement, your mercy all he could cling to.

You all met at the beach, the sun shining brightly in the sky. It was a hot, clear day. You were wearing a long flowy sundress and a straw hat over your bikini (which Akechi still hadn't seen in real life). Akechi was in his swim trunks, a short sleeve button up shirt, a pair of sandals, and sunglasses. He had already slathered himself with sunscreen before you even went out the front door. You had never seen him expose this much skin in broad daylight in public, let alone dress in  shorts.

"Oh my god, your calves are beautiful!" Yusuke exclaimed, staring at Akechi's legs.

Akechi was at a loss for words, stunned into silence. 

Yusuke was standing with Ren and Ryuji under the shade of some buildings nearby the beach. Ren seemed mildly amused, but Ryuji looked disgusted.

"Hey man, what the ef is wrong with you?!" Ryuji yelled at Yusuke. "You don't stare at a man's legs! Especially not at the beach!"

"I'm merely observing their shape!" Yusuke insisted. "By what I have seen of his lithe body through his leather suit, I've always found him an intriguing possible art model. But seeing now his skin laid bare, it strikes me with inspiration–"

"That's enough," said Ren gently. "You're going to make Y/N jealous."

"Y/N?" Yusuke looked at you. "Of course! I'll paint Y/N and Akechi together in a nude couples piece! It will convey such a–"

"Absolutely not!" Akechi finally snapped. "The only person who…wait, together?" 

You were alarmed by this and stared at Akechi with wide eyes.

"Would you be opposed to a piece of sexual nature?" Akechi asked genuinely.

"If it was more vulgar and intense, I most certainly could capture all the beauty of your passion!" Yusuke struck a dramatic pose.

"I am not going to have sex in front of Yusuke!" You pleaded, grabbing onto Akechi's shoulder. "Please no!"

Ryuji, Ren, and Yusuke turned bright red.

Akechi seemed flustered. "Ah…right. I only meant that…oh…"

The situation was saved by the arrival of Ann and Makoto.

"Hi guys!" Ann said cheerfully.

"Where's Futaba?" You asked, suddenly noticing her absence.

"Oh, she left to go change," Ren said. "She hasn't been gone very long."

"I'll go check on her," Ann said, marching towards the beach bathrooms.

"We should claim a spot!" Makoto said, walking towards the yellow sand. She was carrying a large beach blanket, which she eventually placed down on the sand at a good spot. You set down a picnic basket, as it was your responsibility for the beach trip to feed everyone lunch.