No More What Ifs

Sunday, January 15? Daytime.

“Okay, now for the blue levels–”

“I clearly told you it was red! Now we have to go all the way back and restart!”

A series of colorful bridges suspended by light were scattered across several floors. The intellectuals of the group–Makoto, Hifumi, and Akechi–had been constantly battling over the puzzle solutions. This even made Ren upset, and saying the mood was stressful was an understatement. You just wanted it to be over

Your entire body, the deeper you got into the palace, felt suffocated. It was like it was trying to repel you. You didn't want to worry Akechi or even your friends, so you tried to keep to yourself.

More tapes. These displayed more of Maruki's troubled past, how he awakened her persona, and when he had become the new god of Mementos. Akechi was agitated, but he didn't attempt to break anything this time around.

You eventually made it to a room with a large golden tree with a staircase up the side. Morgana informed you that you had found the treasure, and the route was now secured. All that remained was the calling card. It was decided (with an upset Akechi) that you would wait to give Maruki the calling card until the last second in a similar vein to Sae's palace.

Evening

You all met up at Leblanc afterwards for Ren to make celebratory curry. At least Leblanc, when the adults weren't there, felt reasonably unchanged. It was comforting, the scent of curry and coffee, as you sat next to your boyfriend in a booth.

“For you,” Ren winked, setting a latte in front of Akechi.

There was art of a heart in the foam. “Thank you dear, it looks lovely. Your skills have improved,” Akechi said with a smirk as he picked up the cup. 

“I want a sip,” you said.

Akechi slid the latte towards you.

“I'll make one for you, Y/N,” said Ren. “The amount of caffeine in that could probably kill you.”

After your sip, you slid it back to Akechi.

“Aw…I was just trying to give her energy,” Akechi pouted.

“So uh…what's the plan, Ren?” Ryuji finally piped up.

“Plan? What do you mean?” Ren seemed a bit confused.

“We're just sitting here with nothing to do,” Ryuji complained.

“Then we relax,” said Ren. “Besides, don't we still have school? We should study up, train, and prepare for a nasty fight. I doubt Maruki will go down easily, him being the current God of Control and everything.”

You leaned your head on Akechi's shoulder and slid your hand onto his thigh. You squeezed it, and pressed your leg against his. He didn't react, save for a faint blush on his cheeks.

“Ah man, I want to stop him now!” Ryuji complained. 

“Seriously?!” Ann cried. “I'm sooo tired!” 

“I want to go home and sleep,” you said.

Akechi leaned over and whispered in your ear. “You do not.”

You turned bright red and turned away from him.

After dinner and a bit of socializing, you and Akechi made your way home. He had been touching you the entire journey, and barely contained himself when you walked in the front door. He pushed you against the door before you even got your shoes off.