Dream Kitty

May 6th. Friday. Morning.

"Ow...I can barely move right."

Akechi only laughed at your predicament. "That's normal, especially if you're not used to being thrown around."

"You know...I still don't get anything," you sighed, picking up your bookbag. "How the hell did you even know to find me?"

"Er...I hope this doesn't sound like I'm stalking you or anything," Akechi said. "But when you asked for Madarame's address, I knew there was a palace there already. I was actually...concerned you might accidentally fall into the Metaverse, which you did."

"That's nice but... what's a palace?" You asked. "You kind of told us, but I don't understand. And how do you know?"

"Like I said, I've had my persona for a while," Akechi confessed. "And I have access to a lot of research unavailable to the general public. Palaces are cognitive buildings themed around a single person. This person is generally prideful, arrogant, and had no consideration for the wellbeing of others. They're usually criminals or involved in some kind of shady activities."

"How did you find Madarame's?" 

"There were rumors of him abusing his students," Akechi explained. "Among other things. I suppose you can just find a palace without people's consent and confirm their crimes." 

"That's...unsettling," you shuddered. "Does everyone have a palace?"

"...not that I've found, no," Akechi replied. "Here…we're entering a public place now. Best to drop this conversation for now."

"Akechi but...is this why you don't sleep?" You insisted. "Do you investigate the Metaverse on your own?"

Akechi's face went cold. After a few moments of silence, only able to hear the sounds of your shoes walking on the pavement, Akechi's expression changed to his default smile. "Do you want hot or cold coffee this morning? I think it's going to be hot today."

You shook your head and sighed, frustrated. One again, he had refused to let you in even a tiny bit. Whenever he'd slip up, or you'd ask a question like that, he deflected. 

Unsatisfied, you pressed him more. "Please actually rest! If you're doing that all the time, and you're doing all your work and school?! Akechi-kun you...what if you get sick?"

"Then you can just take care of me," Akechi grinned. "Don't worry, I've got everything under control."

You groaned, but didn't attempt to say anything else.

After School

Yusuke stayed behind in he and Hifumi's classroom again to speak with you. He seemed unusually excited, but the bandage on his face was a distraction. Madarame…

"L/N-san! Togo-san!" He announced.

Hifumi blinked and closed her book on advanced shogi.

"Sorry if this is forward of me, but would you be interest in attending my master's art exhibit? I'll be there for the entire event," Yusuke asked. 

You glanced at Hifumi.

"Uhm…" The girl was pale. She clearly wanted to say no, but she didn't want to hurt Yusuke's feelings.

You didn't blame her. "When is it?" You asked, trying to stall for time to figure out how to get out of this mess.

"Sunday the fifteenth. Can you come?"

Hifumi exhaled in relief. "Oh...I'm sorry, Kitagawa-san...I have an important Shogi match that day."

You, however, did not have an excuse. Deciding to go for Yusuke's sake, you agreed. "Sure! I'll go."