The person opposite groaned in annoyance and came towards her.

"Rhaena, you have to trust me, I can't tell you," he said gently, taking her hand. She looked at him in surprise, ignoring the familiar feeling in her stomach when Addam was near. "You have to believe me. I would if I could."

What the seven hells was he hiding from her? 

"Does it have something to do with my father?"

She hoped he would say no, because that would mean that her father wouldn't keep a secret from her again.

Addam didn't say anything but he didn't need to.

Disappointment spread through her.

"Then take me with you, I can definitely help."

Addam shook his head clearly. "It's too dangerous, besides you would leave Aemma alone. She needs you. You have to stay here and look after her. And her children."

Rhaena had no problems with taking care of Aemma. Her initial feelings of suspicion had given way to feelings of trust and connection, and she had become a good friend. The only problem she had was that people were keeping secrets from her again. Addam seemed to notice her reticence and suddenly she felt his hand on her cheek. Although his hand was rough, it tingled gently against her skin.

"You're the only one I can trust Aemma," Addam said lovingly and Rhaena felt her whole body begin to tingle. "Please, I'll explain it to you later, but now I have to go."

Rhaena felt the need to contradict him, but she saw how serious he was.

She bit her bottom lip and nodded, which brought a smile to Addam's pretty face. He nodded gratefully at her and then backed away. Without another word, he climbed onto Seasmoke.

"When are you coming back?" she asked nervously and Addam looked down at her as he grabbed the reins.

"Soon," he said.

Again something she couldn't do anything with.

"Do you promise?"

She had a bad feeling. He was hiding something from her and it couldn't be anything good.

Addam hesitated for a second, seeming to struggle with himself, before he smiled again and the shadow on his face disappeared.

"I promise," he said and then he gave Seasmoke the command to rise into the air.

Rhaena watched as Seasmoke disappeared into the darkness of the night and took a deep breath before deciding to go back into the castle. 

It was useless to wait for another opportunity. Cannibal would not come.

Thoughtfully she was shuffling along the corridors of the familiar castle where she had spent much of her youth, when she jumped in shock as Ser Erryk suddenly stood in front of her.

She had planned to visit Aemma, who had given birth to her two sons last night, and had been so lost in thought that she had heard him coming.

"Ser Erryk," she gasped, clutching her chest. "You scared me."

The man gave her a strange look and Rhaena tilted her head in surprise.

"Are you okay, Ser?" she asked worriedly. The night became more and more strange. Ser Erryk just looked at her for a moment before nodding and then turning back. Rhaena furrowed her eyebrows and watched him go. What the seven hells happened here? First Addam and then Ser Erryk, who left her there like she was just an insignificant girl.

Rhaena snorted in annoyance. Apparently everyone here had some secrets from her.