̶(̶ ̶39)̶

K I N G S   L A N D I N G

𝕬𝖑𝖎𝖈𝖊𝖓𝖙 𝖕𝖆𝖈𝖊𝖉 𝖇𝖆𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖋𝖔𝖗𝖙𝖍 𝖎𝖓 𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖗𝖔𝖔𝖒, 𝖕𝖎𝖈𝖐𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖋𝖑𝖊𝖘𝖍 𝖔𝖋𝖋 𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖗𝖓𝖆𝖎𝖑𝖘 𝖚𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖑 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖞 𝖇𝖊𝖈𝖆𝖒𝖊 𝖇𝖑𝖔𝖔𝖉𝖞.

She was nervous, tense and upset. She had gone through the conversation she was about to have hundreds of times in her head, replaying every possible situation and analyzing and discarding it so many times that her head hurt.

She looked at her father, who nodded encouragingly, but not before casting a disapproving look at her fingers. Alicent hid her hands behind her back and turned around as the door to her chambers opened.

Aemond was dressed in black, as always. From time to time he wore a green robe, but the war had not dissuaded him from his favorite color. Alicent didn't hold it against him. She never intended to use the color green as her mark of protest against Rhaenyra, but when she stormed her former friend's wedding in a green dress, her family's color, everyone accepted her as the pioneer of the Green Rebellion.

Her son entered her chambers with elegant steps and commented on Otto's presence with a raised eyebrow before his attention turned to Alicent, who had to swallow several times due to nervousness.

"You requested my presence, mother," Aemond spoke. His voice was distant and dismissive, a state that had persisted towards her for several moons. She looked at her father, who nodded supportive. Alicent walked to her table and took the piece of parchment in her hand and held it out to Aemond.

"You should read this," she urged him, and she saw the distrust in his eyes. He seemed a little hesitant, as if he suspected the worst.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" he asked and Alicent took a deep breath. She felt helpless and worried, she was afraid of his reaction, but she had no choice but to bite the bitter apple. It was her duty as former Queen and as his mother.