̶(̶ ̶64 ̶)̶

H A R R E N H A L

H A R R E N H A L

O N E - D A Y - A G O

W𝖍𝖊𝖓 L𝖆𝖗y𝖘 S𝖙𝖗𝖔𝖓𝖌 w𝖆𝖘 𝖇𝖔𝖗𝖓, 𝖍𝖎𝖘 𝖒𝖔𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖗 d𝖎d𝖓'𝖙 w𝖆𝖓𝖙 𝖙𝖔 h𝖔𝖑d h𝖎𝖒

"A blot on the family history," his grandfather had called him. "It is the sign of the gods that the boy will bring bad luck."

His mother had died in childbirth that night.

"That's proof enough," they had said. "Kill the boy before he kills you."

But his father decided against it. Kill a defenseless, innocent boy because he looked different than other men? His father had always valued justice and honor. He had made the decision to accept him as his son and to ignore the evil words directed against his youngest son.

A mistake that would be his undoing more than twenty years later.

Larys had never developed anything like loyalty, sympathy or empathy. He had hated his fate of always being in the shadow of his older, more perfect brother, who not only had people's respect but also their love. He, on the other hand, was a deformity, a joke of the gods, and would never be anything other than the crippled son of Lord Lyonel Strong.

His father had accepted him. But he didn't love him. Instead, he gave all his love to his older brother Harwin, who never followed the rules, constantly sought danger and ultimately indulged in a dangerous and dishonorable affair with the heir to the realm.

Larys would never have the chance to be on the same level as his brother. He would not inherit lands or a useful title, so he decided to gain power in other ways.

Knowledge. Knowledge was power.

He was good at letting people hear what they wanted, which loosened their tongues. At first it was useless information, but over time he developed a knack for asking the right questions to the right people.