̶(̶ ̶0̶2̶ ̶)̶

K I N G S    L A N D I N G

𝕽𝖔𝖘𝖊 𝕱𝖑𝖔𝖜𝖊𝖗𝖘, 𝖙𝖍𝖊y 𝖈𝖆𝖑𝖑𝖊𝖉 𝖍𝖊𝖗.

A strange name as she found. Like in those fairy tales for children, but it didn't have a nice meaning. At least not the last one, even if the name itself was the epitome of beauty. But it publicly marked she for what she was. A bastard.

Flowers was a name given to bastards. A mishap, a sin, something that should not exist and yet was there. A disgrace that was also marked as such. 

Just as in the North every bastard was called Snow, or in the Riverland Rivers, the bastards of the Reach were called Flowers.

Rose had to admit that although she found the name beautiful, she secretly loathed it, for it revealed her for what she really was.

While bastards were considered a disgrace throughout the realm, the only land that that saw it differently was Dorne. Not infrequently, she had wished to be born in Dorne. She had heard of its beauty and had often longed not to be treated as what she now unfortunately was. A bastard.

If you belonged around Smallfolk, the high lords looked down on you. But if you were additionally a bastard, even the Smallfolk looked down on you.

Rose was used to it. She knew it no other way. She had resigned herself to her fate, accepted it for what it was. She couldn't change it, and any thought of it was a waste of her time.

She remembered how her mother had always braided flowers into her hair.

Rose had loved it until she realized the ambiguity.

She didn't believe her mother had meant to shame her. She had been a good woman. A little bit cold and distant but still a good woman. She had lacked maternal warmth, but Rose did not want to be ungrateful. Still, the other children had enjoyed teasing her about her status as a bastard. Even her mother had called her a bastard in an argument. Rose had always had the feeling that her mother saw her as a duty, as something she had to endure.