xiii. train attack

XIII

XIII. TRAIN ATTACK

──────────┊ ➶ 。˚   °

ANNABETH, Grover, Percy, and Lacy all sat in the same table they were at earlier. The officer's walker talkie made noise now and then to which he answered.

Percy said above a whisper, "So we're just killing time till we find out that guys like a werewolf or something, right?"

The three looked back to look at the officer. The lady in the white jacket was now talking to him. He gave them a suspicious look.

They looked back at Percy.

Annabeth whispered, "I don't think he's a monster."

Lacy nodded her head, "Yeah me neither."

Grover turned back, "Hard to say."

Percy furrowed his eyebrows, "Well if he's not a monster what's going on here? Why would anyone tear our room apart?"

Grover looked up, "Maybe they were looking for something."

Percy shook his head, "We don't have anything."

Lacy spoke up, "Yeah but the people who think you dogs Zeus's master bolt may not agree."

Percy looked down, "Right."

Grover shrugged, "Well, look, they're not gonna find something we don't have."

Annabeth rolled her eyes, "Either way, we aren't spending the day answering questions in the St. Louis police station. We need to get out of this before we get delayed."

Before she could continue the lady who'd given the report tapped her shoulder, "D-- Do you mind if I sit?"

Annabeth nodded hesitantly and Lacy mumbled, "Yeah like you don't want us in jail."

The lady didn't hear her but Percy still elbowed her softly.

She placed her pet carrier on a different seat. It whimpered softly. The lady took a seat beside Lacy forcing her to be shoulder to shoulder with Percy.

She gave them a pity smile, "You poor dears. Your parents aren't here, are they?"

The animal whined pushing from the inside of the carrier.

This caused the ladies head to turn at it, "Isn't that right, precious? Don't children get scared when they're all alone?"

She looked back up with a smile, "It's okay. I'm a mom. I know how scared you must be."