vii. we're a team

VII

VII. WE'RE A TEAM

──────────┊ ➶ 。˚   °

EARLIER in the day Percy had gone to see the Oracle Delphi to reveive a prophecy, something required by all demigods who wish to embark on a quest.

For a moment he thought he'd been talking to a Halloween decoration until he finally received an answer. He was told he shall go west and face the god that had turned and find what was stoned and see it safely returned.

Later in the day, Chiron spoke to some the campers informing the Oracle confirmed what was expected, that the quest would proceed toward the Underworld.

Chiron turned to Percy and explained, "I have selected our most compelling candidates, from which you will choose three to join you on this quest."

Percy looked at the chosen campers only recognizing Annabeth, Clarisse, Chris and Luke. Even though he didn't want to admit to himself, he was looking for Lacy, which to his surprise wasn't one of the candidates.

Before Chiron could continue his speech, Percy chose his first candidate.

"Annabeth." Percy knew she was strong and it'd be smart to bring her along.

Chiron responded, surprised at the quick response, "Customarily, one waits to at least hear a name or two before choosing. Are you sure you dont want to head more?"

Percy asked, "This thing, Zeus's master bolt, we need to get it back right?"

Chiron answered, narrowing his eyes, "Yes."

Percy continued, "And it's going to be hard to get yes?"

"Extraordinarily."

Percy finished, explaining, "And if the mission required someone to push me down a flight of stairs for it to succeed... you'd want some me who won't hesitate when they do it."

Chiron looked over at Annabeth nodding, knowing Percy was right. "The first quest-mate shall be Annabeth Chase!"

Annabeth look over at Percy feeling glad.

"Now on to the other candidates."

Before Chiron could continue, Percy interrupted, "I already know who I want."

──────────┊ ➶ 。˚   °

Grover was cleaning what the horses left behind as he breathed through his mouth.