xviii. gold for gold

XVIII

XVIII. GOLD FOR GOLD

──────────┊ ➶ 。˚   °

NOT HAVING A LOT of experience in swimming, Lacy struggled to gasp air. Every time her head crashed out of the water, it was dragged back in by another wave.

Poking her head out of the water once more, she called out, "Percy!"

Percy reached his hand to the girl but was taken aback when the movement of his hand created a water tunnel. It pulled the two onto the flooring that held the statue. They gasped for air coughing up the water that had reached their lungs. The water plunge left them both with wet hair and a burning sense in their throats.

Percy coughed, "Are you okay?"

Lacy nodded reaching for her aching throat, "Did you just pull me out of the water?"

Percy shook his head, "No."

Lacy gave him confused look.

He answered noticing the look, "I don't know. Maybe? I'm figuring this out as I go."

They got up looking at the gold statue infront of them. It was a lot bigger up close and they could see parts of the statue were rusted. It held Ares' statue but was too high for them to reach. Below it, was a gold seat with gears on the back.

"How are we supposed to get that thing down?" asked Percy.

Lacy sighed thinking out loud, "Okay.. the chair and statue have to be connected somehow. It's a machine, but how does it start?"

Percy remembered what his mom had told him, "It was a gift with a hidden purpose. Hephaestus offered it to Hera, but as soon as she sat in it, she couldn't get up. All the gods tried, but the machine was too smart. It was too much. Even for them."

He continued, "Finally, they said if Hephaestus let Hera free, Aphrodite would be his wife."

"The chair is the bargain. One of us goes in, the other gets the shield." said Percy.

Lacy immediately spoke up, "I'll do it."

Percy turned to her shaking his head, "What? Wait a minute."

Lacy's voice softened, "Whoever goes in, isn't coming out."

"I know, that's why I said wait."

Lacy turned to him, "This isn't the Arch. You're not taking my place again."

Percy raised his voice, "Yes, I am."