iii. keeping a watchful eye

III

III. KEEPING A WATCHFUL EYE

──────────┊ ➶ 。˚   °

LATER THAT NIGHT, Percy had snuck into the woods to bring offerings to his mom. If it worked on the gods it'd work on his mom right? The forest was dark and the only light source was the fire he made. It shined on Percy's face making his blue eyes and freckles stand out.

He talked to his mom about how she used to hate the phone ringing the night after she left him at a new school. And how he'd call to tell her how people were awful and that he wanted to come home. Percy looked down, sadness overcoming him. He missed those memories. He fought back his tears not knowing if she could even hear him. He began telling his mom how the good news was that he made some friends. He started to think of his father. He realized he was okay with his father ignoring him but he couldn't ignore his mom.

"I'm gonna make him come down here. I'm gonna make him see me. I'm gonna make him see us both" Percy was determined to get his father's attention. He blew out the fire and as he was walking away, through some cabins, he ran into someone. Charisse and two others.

Percy smiled at them indicating no bad blood, "Hey, guys. scant sleep, huh?"

──────────┊ ➶ 。˚   °

Clarisse shoved Percy to the bathroom floor making Percy fall roughly.

Clarisse spoked with a sharp tone, raising her eyebrows, "Every new kid shows up here and they think they're special. Do you think you're special?"

Percy answered, scared his next words would determine his fate, "No." He answered in more of a question tone than answer which angered Clarisse.

The two others that had been with her roughly grabbed his shoulders and dragged him to his feet. Percy struggled to get free.

Clarisse almost yelling began to walk closer to Percy, "Tell me you made it all up about the Minotaur, and i'll let you go."

"I didn't make anything up." Percy answered honestly. Clarisse looked at the two holding him in place and signaled to the stall.

Clarisse followed the tbree, proud of herself, "Some kids gotta learn the hard way."

Infront of the toilet, the boy holding Percy kicked Percy's leg and caused him to fall to his knees. As Percy resisted them pushing his face near the toilet water, Clarisse chuckled at the scene.

Suddenly, all the water in the toilet was sucked back in. Percy stared confused as the two that were holding him let go and began to walk backwards.

Clarisse tried to take a look at the toilet but before she could see what was occurring the three were shoved back by spiraling water coming at them. They all got up soaked and looked at my the broken stall doors. Percy also looked at the doors knowing he didn't do this but that he would probably get blamed.

Clarisse and her two friends began coughing up water and ran away from the bathrooms. Before Clarisse had ran from the bathrooms, she gave Percy one last look, indicating it wasn't over.

After examining the bathrooms, Percy noticed two girls on the door frame. One more familiar than the other.

"I can explain" Percy began keeping his eyes on Lacy. Before Lacy could say anything. Annabeth spoke, "No, you can't."

Lacy looked at Annabeth for a moment and then back at Percy. His eyes remained on Lacys even when Annabeth was the one talking. It was simple eye contact but it could bring butterflies to Lacys stomach in an instance.

Percy nodded, "Okay" defeated.

"Uh hey Lace." He said lifting up his hand to greet the girl. Lacy just looked down. He looked at Annabeth trying to pinpoint who she was when he realized, "Wait, I know you."

Annabeth then replied with her eyebrows furrowed looking at Lacy for a split second, "No, you don't"

"Yeah, but you were there. That night in the infirmary. Both of you were." Percy said, sure of his thoughts.

Annabeth looked down for a second before replying, "Yes. I'm Annabeth."

Lacy smiled as she reminded him, "You drool when you sleep."

He let out a small chuckle then looked back up at them. "Are you guys stalking me?"

This time, Lacy was the one to reply, "Yes. But it was my idea." Annabeth looked at Lacy, glad she didn't throw her under the bus, even though it was clearly Annabeth idea.

Percy stared in confusion, "Okay." He looked to the side for a moment, "Why?"

Annabeth clarified looking around, "Well, we've been waiting to see if something like this would happen." She pointed at the ruins of the bathroom. "So i'd know if you can help me."

"Help you do what?"

Lacy stopped leaning from the doorframe, "Win capture the flag."

________________________

AUTHORS NOTE

short chapter but i was kinda lazy in the beginning so i js summarized percy talking to his mom but if that annoys you just lemme know so i can change it

-dakota (: