xvi. burgers

XVI

XVI. BURGERS

────────── ˚   °

THE BELL that hung from the diner's door chimed as Lacy, Percy, Annabeth, and Grover all walked in. Music you'd find in a diner played and the sound of Ares' laughter filled the place. He was reading something off of his phone and the four turned to look at him.

"Guess this is the right place." said Percy. Annabeth lead them to the table he was sat at.

He looked up at the teens, "Gimme a second, I'm just starting a fight on Twitter here. Nothing makes me happier than a good old-fashioned, burn-it-down fight."

They all stood awkwardly waiting for him to finish his so called 'twitter fight'.

Ares set his phone down, "Ah. Okay, done." He pointed at the seats in-front of him instructing them to sit.

"So your quest.. is going to fail. Ask me how I know."

Percy shook his head, "It isn't gonna fail."

Ares scoffed, "Sure it is."

He picked his phone back up to show Percy a video of Percy's stepdad, speaking on live news.

"For starters.. Percy was always troubled, but I never thought he was capable of something like this."

"Who's that?" asked Grover.

Lacy noticed Percy was focused on the phone. "Isn't that your stepdad?"

Percy blinked, "Yeah. Why's he on live tv?"

The reporter spoke through the phone, "And in addition to the destruction at the Gateway Arch..."

Percy asked, his eyes switching from the phone to Ares, "What's he doing?"

Ares chuckled, "Wait for it."

The reporter asked Percy's step dad, "...you believe he may also have had something to do with your wife's disappearance?"

Percy's stepdad began to tear up, "A kid that's that messed up? What wouldn't he do?"

Percy's eyes widened, "What?"

Ares looked up, "Wild, right? The FBI is already spreading your picture around."

Percys eyes narrowed, "I'm gonna kill him."

Ares smirked, "I knew I was gonna like you. But safe to say, the chances of you idiots hitchhiking the rest of the way to L.A. without getting arrested are.. slim to none."

Annabeth rolled her eyes, "Why are you sitting here then? If you're supposed to be looking for the master bolt too, shouldn't you be out there looking for it?"

"Hm. There's no fear in you, is there? Doesn't matter. Whether the bolt's retrieved or not, Zeus is going to war with Poseidon."

Percy looked at his friends, worry lingering in his eyes. He shook his head, "No. The Oracle said if we return the bolt, there wouldn't be a war."

Ares leaned in, "Is that what she said? Or is that what Chiron said she meant?"

Left without an answer, he continued, "Yeah. You're new to the family, young one, so let me fill you in on how we work. See, years before I was born, my grandpa Kronos ate my aunts and uncles."

His voice began to raise, "Then my dad made him puke them back up, then chopped him into a million pieces and chucked 'em into a bottomless pit, so that kinda set the tone right outta the gate."

Ares voice returned to normal, "Olympians fight. We betray. We backstab. We will push anyone down a flight of stairs to get ahead. And that's why I love my family so much. My dad knows he's not getting this bolt back with quests or goose chases. He knows there's a war coming. And in reality, I think he's okay with that. I think he feels it's just time for a war, so we're gonna have a war."

He inhaled deeply, "Isn't that great?"

"We're completing this quest. We're stopping this war. You said you can help. Can you?" said Percy.

Ares nodded, "Okay, so here it is. There's an amusement park up the road. I left my shield there. You get me my shield back, and I'll get you to the Underworld by lunch tomorrow with a plan to invade Hades's palace."

"You left your shield? Like, forgot it on the merry-go-round?" asked Annabeth.

Ares' voice lowered, "Okay. The chirping was funny to me for a minute, but it is getting old. So do we have a deal, or am I killing all four of you so I can eat in peace?"

Percy glanced at the others for a second, "Okay."

"Great. One catch. I really do need that shield back, so I'm gonna keep the satyr here as collateral so you don't run off." said Ares relaxing into his chair.

"Okay." agreed Grover.

Percy interrupted, "No way. We don't split up again."

Grover looked at Percy, "It's okay. If he wanted to kill us, we'd be dead by now."

Annabeth crossed her arms, her eyes narrowing, "Okay. But we also have a catch. I stay here with Grover and they go get your shield."

Annabeth knew it wouldn't be hard for them to get the shield. She knew what Lacy was capable of. Plus, Lacy could gain her mom's respect again. She knew she needed it a lot more than her.

Lacy intervened, "What? No."

"It's okay. I know what i'm doing."

Ares shrugged, "Fine by me."

"Can we just walk them to the door?" said Grover

Ares sighed indicating his hand at the door. The four walked to restaurant's exit.

Lacy explained to Grover and Annabeth, "Okay, look. Don't engage with him-"

Annabeth interrupted, "Yeah I know. He'll wanna get us riled up, get in our head. Don't worry, he won't."

Grover looked down, "Yeah It's okay. Really. Go. Get the shield. We'll be here when you get back."

Lacy nodded opening the door for Percy. The pair walked out, the bell singnaling their leave. Lacy looked back once more, catching Annabeth's reassuring smile before leaving.

____________________