xi. ok now we're actually a team

XI

XI. OK NOW WE'RE ACTUALLY A TEAM

──────────┊ ➶ 。˚   °

Grover wore the red shoes Percy was gifted from Luke. The four were now in Medusa's basement. A noise coming from the stairs caught there attention. Shoes, most likely high heels, could be heard stepping above the basement.

Percy's eyes were glued to the stairwell, fearing if he removed them he'd be caught off guard. The door creaked. At the open of the door, fire wrapped around the stairwell, creating a new light source.

Percy watched as the fire trail continued to move through the basement. He gasped when it lightened up a statue. Then, the fire revealed many stone statues, created by Medusa. The four turned when they heard the door shut, indicating Medusa was in the basement.

Annabeth began to move, "Come on."

Lacy, Grover, and Percy all followed her, finding a place to hide.

Grover said out of breathe, "There's four of us, and only one of her. If we split up, she can't be watching us all at once."

Annabeth stopped, "I don't think it'd be that simple."

Grover turned back to Annabeth, "It could be."

He looked over at Percy and Lacy, "Here's the plan. I'll get in the air, i'll draw her attention."

Annabeth and Lacy looked at eachother debating if it was a good idea.

Grover continued, "As soon as you hear me say 'Maia,' you guys start--" Before he could finish, the sound of "Maia" caused wings to come out of the shoes and send Grover in the air.

Grover, caught off guard, said, "Oh, boy! Okay! Um.."

He let out a quiet yell, "Off. Down." He slowly disappeared into the darkness, only the flapping off the wings being heard.

Lacy sighed at the sight, "I think we're gonna need a new plan."

Before anyone could respond Medusas voice was heard, "We are not our parents? until we choose to be."

Annabeth looked at Percy and Lacy for a second then began to run away with the two behind her.

Medusa's voice could be heard, but she couldn't be found, "You three have chosen."

Percy watched Medusas sillouette on a box as she continued, "A daughter of a self-righteous mother, who chose self-righteousness for herself. And another of a vain and self-absorbed mother. Who's own selfish deep desires could lead to something greater than death."