Chapter 49

tw// mentions of suicide and past abuse

As soon as the door slammed shut, Chaewon just felt all fight leave her body. It was silent in the house, save for her sniffles as she stared at the door where Yunjin had stormed out of. She had never seen Yunjin that angry, well maybe on Christmas Eve but that was different. She was more sad than anything. This was anger.

She just felt like a loser. Why? Why would she say something so stupid? She was angry, that was really her only excuse. Should she go after Yunjin? The woman was probably out of their building by now- and Yunjin needed time to calm down. Chaewon needed some too. She sighed, and started making her way to the kitchen. 

As soon as she stepped foot in the kitchen, Eunchae bolted out of her chair into a standing position, her chair falling to the ground with a loud clang. Chaewon furrowed her brows.

"No!" Eunchae stuck out her hands, taking a step back as Chaewon took one towards her. "Please no. I don't- No."

"Eunchae-" Chaewon sighed. Eunchae looked petrified, visibly shaking as she tried to distance herself from Chaewon. The lawyer guesses it was justified, she walked in there yelling even though she knew of Eunchae's past and how they should act around her.

It reminded her of the first time she came over Yunjin's, when Eunchae sobbed and begged her not to hurt them. She could feel her heart crack for the second time in the night. She should have dragged Yunjin into the other room or the hall, because now Eunchae was scared of her as well. Big fat tears were starting to roll down Eunchae's cheeks, "P-please don't hurt me."

Chaewon had to close her eyes at that one. It felt like someone had taken her heart and squeezed it as hard as she could. "I'm not going to-"

"Chaewon, how about you go wait in the living room or your bedroom." Suzy cut in, standing between them.

"Mom-"

"Now." Chaewon was almost taken aback by how serious her mom sounded. She wasn't in the mood to fight it. She just stumbled into the living room, sitting on the floor next to the couch. She's never seen Eunchae look so afraid of her.

"Hey, look at me, you're okay," She could hear Suzy's voice come from the kitchen. Eunchae let out a little noise, and there was shuffling. "Eunchae."

"I don't- Chaewon- she's going to hurt me."

"Eunchae I promise you Chaewon is not going to hurt you. She isn't mad at you." Suzy's tone was the same. She was a teacher, she probably had training to do this. "You need to calm down first buddy. No ones going to hurt you, okay? Chaewon's in the other room cooling off, you and I are just going to sit here until you feel a little better."

"Can we call Yunjin, I want Yunjin."

"Let's try." A bit more shuffling and Chaewon could hear a phone ringing. It must have been her's because she was sure her mom didn't have Yunjin's. It rang a few times before meeting the voicemail.

Her father walked into the room, he still looked half asleep, all the yelling must have woke him up from his nap. He spared her a glance before walking into the kitchen, the crying child obviously making him nervous. As soon as he entered the kitchen though, Eunchae snapped, screaming and crying in a way that made Chaewon stand up. She's never heard her sound like that, it was terrifying. He backed out, walking over to Chaewon, "What happened?"

"Yunjin and I got into a fight." They watched as Suzy carried Eunchae across the living room, down the hall, and finally into her own room, the door closing.

"Why is Eunchae freaking out?"

"I think I must've spooked her."

"Do you guys know what happened to her."