Chapter 46

"Can't sleep?"

"No."

Even over the soft rain of the sound machine that Chaewon had brought from Eunchae's room, she could hear the lawyer sigh. Yunjin wouldn't point out the fact that Chaewon wasn't sleeping either, and that they needed to get up in a little bit now that Eunchae was snoring with both dogs curled into her sides on the floor. Telling the kid she shouldn't sleep with them in bed was hard, but Chaewon had to foresight to know if they didn't Eunchae would wake up as soon as they tried to slip out.

Their room was still a mess, various pieces of makeup and lotion littering the floor totaled around when Yunjin had dragged the vanity. The furniture itself was still crooked and where Yunjin had pushed it out of the way so she could open the door. No one had the energy to pick up. The rest of the night was kind of nice, Chaewon's dad made cookies and they laid some out for Santa and watched movies. Sakura had to go home early, the babies weren't used to being out so late, but she slipped a bag full of gifts under the tree and gave Yunjin a tight hug before she left. They definitely would be chatting about what happened tonight sometime in the future, just not now, Yunjin was too tired for that.

"I'm done with them. I mean it."

"I know baby."

"I'm blocking their numbers and that's it, I don't want to hear from them ever again. I'm not getting tested, I'm not even going to go to their funerals. I'm done."

"If that's your decision, I'll support you." Chaewon gave her this sad smile, leaning over to press a kiss on her cheek. "I'll tell Eunchae to leave you alone tomorrow if you need space."

"No," Yunjin shook her head, "It's Christmas. I'm feeling better, I'm just-"

"Yunjin, if you're upset you don't have to pretend that you're fine. I know you really wanted things to work out."

Yunjin fell quiet for a minute. "I'm upset."

"Okay, and how can I help you feel better?"

"Just- just cuddle me."

"I can definitely do that." Chaewon smiled, wrapping her arms around Yunjin's waist pulling her back flush against her. It wasn't often Yunjin was the little spoon, sure Chaewon was all for back hugs but usually it was the detective that either was the big spook or cuddled upon. It was kind of nice, Eunchae's fish night light allowed Yunjin to see Chaewon's face when she turned around to snuggle into her shoulder. Their legs tangled as Chaewon brushed a strand of hair out of Yunjin's face.

"Eunchae wasn't scared, right?" Yunjin asked. The thought dawned on her all at once. Her little episode was embarrassing, she made a fool out of herself in front of Sakura, Chaewon's family, and especially Chaewon and Eunchae. "I just lost my cool, I-"

"Why do you always think about everyone else instead of yourself?" Chaewon cut her off, disbelief tainting her voice. "Babe, I have never seen you lose your cool like that. Sure, I've seen you cry a few times but that wasn't normal for you. You're hurting and you're talking about if Eunchae was scared, unbelievable."

"I just- I don't want her to be scared of me."

"It would take a lot for her to be scared of you. The fact that she's sleeping on the floor not hiding away right now is a good sign that she isn't too affected." Chaewon leaned down and placed a kiss on Yunjin's forehead, "How are you feeling."

Yunjin went quiet for a minute. How was she feeling? Not good, that's for sure. She was angry, so angry she could barely sit still her hands itching to do something. But Chaewon would kill her if she messed up her hair again, so she just took to gently playing with Chaewon's. Grumpy stretched out next to her, rolling on his back and extending his paws. "Hurt."