Chapter 45

"Babe stop pacing." Chaewon called for what had to be the fifth time in the past twenty minutes. Yunjin couldn't help it though, she felt- well she wasn't sure how she felt. Hana, Sakura, and Kazuha were already getting acquainted in the dining room while Chaewon's dad cooked with Eunchae and her Mom entertained the babies. Everyone was here, well everyone except one person.

She was already nearly an hour late, was she just not going to come? Did something happen? Yunjin should call her. She should- Two arms stopped her, hands gripping onto either side of her face. "Relax."

She took a deep breath. Trying to will herself to relax. She was okay. Everything was going great so far. Eunchae was really getting along well with Chaewon's parents, especially her dad. She woke up to the two of them dancing to the baby shark song in the living room while Chaewon's mother watched and recorded it on her phone. As nice as it was to see Eunchae start to bond with them, Yunjin wasn't sure her mental well being could withstand Eunchae's newfound love for baby shark. She found herself being at ease with the two of them all morning, chatting about Chaewon's love for Disney movies and how Boo was her baby for the majority of the morning.

This was going to be fine. This was okay.

Knock knock knock.

THIS WAS NOT GOING TO BE FINE. THIS WAS NOT OKAY.

As if sensing her internal panic, Chaewon rubbed her finger on her face before breaking off, grasping their hands together as Yunjin opened the door. Just like her father, she still looked the same. Sure she was a bit older, and she now had some white hair and wrinkles. But there she was. "Hi."

"Hi."

"Do you want to come in?" Yunjin stepped aside and her mother walked in. She gripped Chaewon's hand a bit tighter. She watched her Mother's eyes narrow as she looked around, taking in the place.

"It's..cozy." A thinly veiled smile spread across her lips. It's small. That's what she meant. Yunjin guessed that was fair, Chaewon had given up the lease on her apartment last week when she finally convinced Yunjin to start house hunting with her. The house across the street from Kyujin was really calling her name, and even better it was being foreclosed. The previous owners just stopped paying, which worked out perfectly for her because that meant it would be cheap. Still, she liked her current apartment. Sure it was a bit on the smaller size, and having everyone over was a bit of a squeeze however it still got the job done.

"This is Chaewon, my fiancé." Fiancé. That word almost felt surreal. Her mother just offered a small bow of acknowledgment. Chaewon frowned, but she was just shy too. That was at least as Yunjin told herself.

.

Dinner was delicious. Chaewon's father was definitely where she got her cooking skills from. Him (and Eunchae, though she really did nothing) made a wide spread of side dishes and food, even homemade strawberry milk. It was honestly amazing, and despite the one mishap of Yunjin trying to feed a strawberry slice to the babies and everyone yelling at her all at once they were having a great time.

"We used to go on walks as a family when we first moved here," Hana laughed, brushing tears out of her eyes as she tried to finish the story, "And so Chaewon and I would play rock, paper, scissors. She would walk backwards and I would walk forwards, but one day she fell off a small cliff. And I thought she died, so I got to the side of the cliff and call out, ' Chaewon?' No answer. I try again. The third time, emerging for the depths below is nine year old Chaewon's voice, ' YOU BITCH YOU BETTER HOPE I NEVER GET UP THERE!'"

" I did not swear!"

"Yes you did!" Chaewon's mom laughed along, "That was the first time I ever heard you yell and it was so hilarious."