Chapter 42

Yunjin was done with her hair. It was long, it tangled, she actually had to spend time brushing it. It wasn't fun. Sakura had told her about the benefits of cutting her hair, especially now as a new mom. With the twins she simply didn't have time to do her hair, and plus the shortcut prevented babies from gripping on painfully. To be honest, why she even kept it as long as she did was a mystery to her. Maybe it was because she was always told to keep her hair long as a child, her mother always telling her it was a sign of femininity and as she got older and entered highschool it was. She would strut around the hallways with her high ponytail, winking and flirting with whoever she saw fit. Then as things changed it was never a priority, why spend money on a haircut when she could buy food or a blanket? Eunha loved her long hair too, always braiding it or begging Yunjin to let her dye it. One time she caved and let her bleach her hair, they dyed it back two days later after Sakura teased her about it and Yunjin felt self conscious. Sakura felt horrible following that and even offered to bleach her hair, but Yunjin refused saying she liked her black hair better.

It was never a conscious thought, she never paid too much attention to it. So why was chopping it all off her first reaction? As soon as she picked up the phone, and let her eyes glide over the notification she was itching to do something.

UNKNOWN NUMBER.

Yunjin, this is your mother. I'm going to be in Seoul during the holidays, let's meet up. Your father was wrong, I'm sorry for his behavior. Let's talk, okay?

[10:47PM]

All night she kept glancing over at it. All the kids were sleeping peacefully in the living room, tired out from the excessive walking and candy. Chaewon was passed out too, snoring softly next to her, Boo curled up on the end of the bed, his face resting against her legs. The detective just laid looking straight up at the ceiling, flipping on the phone, rereading the text, before turning it off again. She was sorry. She thought his behavior was wrong. Did Yunjin believe that? She wasn't too sure. Maybe she should invite her over, that way she could meet  Chaewon's parents. Wait- that may be a bad idea.

She needed to do something . Her hands were itching, her mind was racing, she needed a distraction. If this was before she would have just left for the precinct and maybe not come home for a few days before Sakura would throw her out and threaten to fire her (she never actually would though, they both knew it). But she had responsibilities now, a kid to look after her, and Chaewon who would probably not take too kindly to that. That's how she processed things, well maybe avoided processing things. She needed to find something new.

With all her three am wisdom, Yunjin decided her hair had got to go. As quietly as she could she got up and made her way to the other side of the bed, where Chaewon always kept the scissors in her nightstand. Yunjin had questioned her why they just didn't keep them in the kitchen like normal people, Chaewon had argued they shouldn't leave dangerous things out where Eunchae can just grab them. The logic did make sense, Eunchae was the type of kid to cut her own hair or decided to give one of the pets a haircut, but Yunjin had tried to point out the fact that Chaewon's very sharp, very dangerous cooking knives also lived in the kitchen. (Chaewon tuned her out). She successfully grabbed the scissors, when something else caught her eyes. A little green box, that looked much like the one Yunjin held Chaewon's ring in. After sneaking a glance at Chaewon, she opened it to see a small ring sitting proudly. Fuck, was Chaewon planning on proposing? No fucking way, this was Yunjin's time to shine and make Chaewon feel special.

She had already worked out the plan in her head, she was going to propose at a dinner she was going to make on Chaewon's birthday in a few days. Hana has actually been the one to suggest it when Yunjin revealed what she was planning at one of Eunchae's dance lessons, the older sister screaming and hugging her. Maybe Eunchae would help her out, who knew. She closed the box and put it back, trying not to think about it too much.