Chapter 15

Hanni was always someone to get attached to her kids. She spent a good chunk of her money on supplies and books, and the little prize bucket that sat near her desk simply because she loved her class too much. All thirty of them, even if they had a range in closeness. Snack time was probably her favorite time of the day, the kids would play and entertain themselves while she could either relax and watch them for fifteen minutes or prepare whatever she needed for the rest of the class. She got attached to how they tried really hard to do well on a quiz, or frustrated because they couldn't figure something out. It didn't pay much, but it was incredibly rewarding.

No one ever told her how nerve-racking the job could be. There was one time when Jungkook broke his arm on the monkey bars outside and Hanni thought she was going to die of nerves. She sat and waited with him until the paramedics came, trying to calm him down and divert his attention. But the scariest time in her career was when Hong Eunchae walked into class one morning, a large bruise covering her right eye, jumping at every noise, completely petrified. She made her stay for lunch, gently probing on how she got that bruise, why she wasn't feeling well, what was bothering her. Eunchae wouldn't say. Knowing she wouldn't get any answers she let her go back to class, only for Eunchae to lash out on one of the boys in her group. Apparently, he took her pencil, and Eunchae cussed him out so viciously and angrily the entire class went silent. Hanni made a report to family services that night, nothing happened. Family day was worse. Truth be told, she wasn't really expecting her mother to show up, but she still hoped. Eunchae seemed to share her sentiment, sadly glancing over at the door the entire day like she was waiting for someone. Halfway through Hanni and Eunchae had to camp out in their classroom as everyone else had fun outside, Eunchae quietly crying, scared and sad. For once, Hanni had no idea what to do. On her way to her car that afternoon, longing to get home and try to figure out what she should do, she saw Eunchae just standing there, staring out at the parking lot. After a bit of light questioning, Eunchae said she was waiting for her mom. Hanni drove her home that day, catching a glimpse of Hong Eunjung. She made her second report that night.

Things seemed to get better since then. Eunchae finally came to school dressed in weather appropriate clothing. She brought lunch to school, granted it was just takeout leftovers it still fed her, her grades started improving. Hanni had never felt more relieved in her life. Eunchae started making more friends too, branching off to become friends with Yeri, Sooyoung, and Lucas. She was so energetic and happy, it feels like the past week had been a ninety-degree turn, not completely back to the starting line, but progress was hindered a bit.

"I just don't think that Santa is real." Yeri huffed, slumping back into her seat as Sooyoung and Lucas laughed, the idea of the man not being real completely ridiculous.

Sooyoung slipped more of her popcorn into her mouth, "You're not going to get presents then."

"What? No! I believe!"

Funnily enough, Eunchae and Kyujin just watched it all go down. Eunchae had her head laying on the desk as she had for most of the class, trying to fight off sleep as Kyujin ate her favorite gummy snack. Without a doubt, Kyujin would come in every day and offer Eunchae a few pieces, which may be just out of habit at this point. Eunchae just lazily opened her mouth, letting Kyujin plop it in. Those two were always quite amusing, attached to the hip since day one. Hanni knew for a fact, Eunchae hated those gummies that Kyujin would offer her, her nose always wrinkled up in disgust but she chewed and swallowed anyways, telling Kyujin that they were good and Kyujin would smile and offer her another because she thought it made Eunchae as happy as it made her. Before Eunchae was removed Kyujin used to split her lunch with Eunchae, perfectly evenly saying that she wasn't hungry and that Eunchae should help her finish it so her moms won't be mad, and it was obvious Eunchae was starving so she'd eat quickly, silently thanking Kyujin.