Chapter 8

Eunchae had not stopped talking all morning, shaking Yunjin awake as soon as the woman's alarm went off, rushing to her own room to get dressed. Throughout their entire room, Eunchae was attached to her hip, chatting happily about whatever she would think of that moment. How she was so energetic blew Yunjin's mind taking into consideration the girl had been up most of the night, too excited to go to sleep. It lasted the entire way to school before they spotted Chaewon standing outside the building, patiently waiting for their arrival.

Surprising both of the adults, Eunchae took off, sprinting full force into Chaewon's side hugging tight. Chaewon looked comically torn, looking up at Yunjin for help trying to decide if she wanted to reach down and hug back or not. Do it. Yunjin mouthed, Eunchae already thought Chaewon was mad at her because she thought she was bad, not returning Eunchae's affection would probably just hammer that point home in her brain. So Chaewon obliged, patting Eunchae on the back a few times before the girl let go beaming up at her. "Chaewonnie! Did Yunjin tell you I saw fishies?"

"She did," Chaewon held out a hand that Eunchae grasped almost immediately. Yunjin was on Eunchae's other side, the kindergartener taking her hand as well, "Did you have fun?"

'"I did! I wish you came too."

"I had court that day, sorry honey."

"Court?"

"I make sure bad guys go to jail," Chaewon explained, watching as Eunchae's eyes widened darting back and forth between Yunjin and Chaewon.

"Really?

"Of course. Yunjin catches them and solves the mystery, I put them into jail. We're a team."

"I have to tell Kyunjin."

The classroom was already packed by the time they got in there, parents and children filled the room, sitting on the multicolored carpet, in the back in small cliques. That made sense, the parents must have already been introduced to each other throughout the school year so far. Great for the kids, awful for Yunjin and Chaewon who was suddenly hit the crushing realization that they were completely out of their depth. Eunchae didn't seem to care at all, practically glowing in between the two of them from how happy she was at the moment. The student led them over to where Kyujin and her parents were sitting, already engaged in a tiny group. They all seemed to know who Eunchae was already, greeting her before looking up at the couple and scowling. Yujin smiled and ushered them over, pushing over so they could take a seat.

One mother spoke up first, "You're her mother? Do you not have any shame-"

"She's Eunchae's foster mother, Joohyun," Wonyoung cut in, watching the fire in Joohyun's eyes extinguish a bit, "Eunchae got put into care a few weeks ago."

The entire group's demeanor changed almost immediately, another mother spoke up, "I thought she was looking a little healthier. Sorry about that, I'm Wendy, and this is my wife Joohyun, we're Yeri's moms. This is Mark and Taeyong, Lucas' dads. And that is Seulgi, Sooyoung's mom."

Yunjin just nodded back a quick greeting, as the group went right back into their conversation. There were three quick observations Yunjin picked up, one, this seemed to be the gay group. Whether that was intentional or not was up in the air, but the rest of the room seemed to be avoiding their small group so Yunjin had a good suspicion. Two, Eunchae seemed to absolutely hate Lucas's dads, shying away from them as soon as the kids starting playing and they greeted her. Three, Chaewon was having the time of her life, slipping naturally into the conversation with the rest of the parents. Apparently, Chaewon knew Joohyun a bit, she was a prosecutor and they had briefly worked together a few years ago, and the woman took full advantage of it. Yunjin was always on the more shy side, having a hard time to try and make friends throughout school and her career.