Chapter 45: Entry

The next day, the group returned to the auction house properly dressed; wearing the suits and coats they received from Argonaut. At the main entrance, they encounter the same doorman from before.

"Hm? You brats came back. I see you are properly dressed this time at the very least..." - The doorman says with a demeaning look again.

Darren: Yeah, you like what you see? Now how about letting us in now.

Doorman: Hold on. You still need to pay up. 10,000 coins. From each of you.

Darren: What?! In the end we still got to pay you?! That was just a bargain since we didn't make the dress-code! Now you're just scamming us!

Doorman: Hmph! Well...Then I guess you lot aren't going to enter.

"Okay. Yup. He's just being a prick. Victor, get your steam gauntlet ready." Darren says immediately resigning themselves to violence.

Sharon: Calm down now. As infuriating as it is, we kind of already saw this coming.

Sharon with her arm outstretched hands over a small bag full of gold to the doorman. After checking the inside of the bag, the doorman's expression quickly becomes flustered.

Sharon: Now then, we forked up the money. Hurry up and let us in.

On the side, a figure approaches the group.

Unknown figure: What is going on over here?

The group and the doorman face their attention to the stranger. The stranger is none other than the grey haired person who was watching the group at the guild hub the other day. Upon seeing who the person was, the doorman begins to panic.

Doorman: Y-y-you're...!

Grey Haired Man: What is with this exchange? Why are you extorting money from these folks?

Doorman: This is all part of circumspection...! Afterall, they are just kids...!

"Just kids? You have no idea just what 'these kids' are capable of. Some of the world's greatest individuals are 'just kids." The grey haired man says, challenging the doorman's logic.

Grey Haired Man: It's understandable, but I can assure you, you can allow these folks in. Afterall, the commerce union is open to business for anyone right?

The doorman scoffs disgruntledly.

The grey haired man turns towards the group.

Grey Haired Man: Pardon this one's rude behavior. I saw you folks yesterday at the guild hub. I must say, clearing out an entire quest board in a day is a remarkable achievement. Even the top veteran guilds would find a feat like that quite difficult. Might I ask, what is the name of your guild?

"O-oh...we're..." – Darren stops himself in his sentence upon remembering what their guild name is. He begrudgingly forces himself to say its name, along with Victor. "Geld...." The two boys say in a pathetically whimsical tone; ashamed of their guild name.

Grey Haired Man: Hm? I'm sorry...? I didn't seem to quite catch that...

Tatsuo: We are Geld.

Grey Haired Man: ...Yes? I am aware you are in a guild...? I'd like to know the name of it...

Sharon buries her face into her hands while Victor and Darren avert their eyes in embarrassment.

Tatsuo: Yeah. That's the name of our guild. It's Geld.

"Oh...I see...That's quite the name..." - The grey haired man says, trying to remain polite.

Tatsuo puts his arm around Sharon's shoulder, "Thank you. She came up with it." He says crediting Sharon who has her face still buried in her palms. Boiling inside, Sharon could feel the vengeful spite she had for Tatsuo resurfacing.

The grey haired man moves onto another topic, " It's always great to see young promising individuals like you taking part in the Guild society. I look forward to your future prospects. Is this your first time visiting an auction house?"

Sharon: ...For most of us, it is.

Grey Haired Man: I see...In that case, I shall not hold you up any longer. I hope you all enjoy the experience.

The greyed hair man smiles as he departs from the group.

Darren: Well, that was random. What was he all about?

Victor: Dunno. But hey, he got us inside. And free of charge too!

"Yeah, you're right. It was good to see that jackass get his servings..." - Darren says with his face gesturing at the doorman.

Doorman: Feh! You runts got lucky. That's all. And I mean that in more ways than one. It's not everyday you get to see somebody prestigious as him.

Victor: Now that you mention it...He never introduced himself to us.

Darren: Yeah, just who is that guy?

Doorman: His name is Lucius. The chancellor of the Guild Union.

"WHAT?!" - The group exclaims in bewilderment.

"Woah. Are you for reals? Did we really just speak to a bigshot like that?" - Darren says in disbelief.

Sharon: Perhaps that was why he didn't give his name to us...

The significant weight of being present in front of a prominent figurehead slowly sinks into her, stiffening her body.

Victor: Wonder what he's doing over here?

Darren: Probably just here to buy some things from the auction house like the rest of us. Guy's probably super rich.

Queenie: It could be more than just that. The auction houses are owned by the guild association after all.

Victor: Woah! Really?!

Queenie: Well...Partially. They are co-owned by the Guild Association and the Goods and Trades Union.

Sharon: Wow! Somehow, you're very knowledgeable about a lot of stuff Queenie!

Queenie: .....

"So that's how he got this bonehead to back down for us...Move outta the way ya old shroom!" - Darren says, forcing his way past the doorman.

The others follow suit behind Darren as they make their way into the auction house.