Part 45 - Taylor

I found a small group of houses near a small town and decided to use one as a place for the night

I found a small group of houses near a small town and decided to use one as a place for the night. I got up bright and early, as soon as the sun started peering through the window. I slip on my thick black jacket and quiver, the other things that would be to awkward to sleep in. I've learned to sleep in shoes, but I couldn't figure out how to sleep with my quiver without rolling over in my sleep and having arrows scatter everywhere. The bulky stuff like my quiver and bag sat right next to where I slept because I wanted to be able to leave at a moments notice.

Because out here in the open, alone, I'm realizing I'm scared.

I thought being alone before was scary. I had a cop as a dad that had no qualms about scaring me into not doing stupid things. Then I had a obsession with watching Law & Order SVU. It always made me double guess going to party's or even meeting up with friends for a night out. I always was looking over my shoulder, paranoid.

Now zombies are a thing.

A grunt leaves me when I stand and stretch. I run my fingers through my hair and pull it back into a tight bun at the base of my head. I grab my beanie and neck gaiter from the little table next to the couch I had slept in last night. I couldn't decide if sleeping in a bed in a room with a door I could close is safer then sleeping in a open space that was close to the exits. Both had pros and cons, but the biggest issue I've found is that I'm alone. There were moments I though I should have asked Reid or someone else to come, but then I'd feel guilty for making them leave. I kept fighting with myself over it.

I lean over to rummage for my toiletry bag in my backpack and my back protests. As soon as I wake up my mind is going 100 miles per hour, while my body tried to catch up. Paranoia had me sleeping light and alert as soon as I awoke. I missed being able to lay around in my bed under a pile of blankets, warm and cozy. A comfort I'm not sure I'll ever have again.

I take my little bag with me to the bathroom that's right off the living room. I use the toilet, and debate on showering. After I finish my business I move to the sink, dig out my tooth brush and toothpaste. I twist the tap on the sink and water comes out of it, not strong but it still runs. I rinse my brush, add toothpaste and stick the brush in my mouth. My eyes move up to the small mirror above the sink and I look over my appearance.

Not dirty, no makeup on, my pink hair almost completely faded to blond. I start brushing my teeth trying to get the morning grossness out of my mouth. Moving my attention around the room I take note of the small details. The white tile with dirt in the corners of where it meets the wall, how there's a layer of dust over the places I haven't touched. Then there's the little window that seems to let in a lot of natural light. It faces north, towards the main street. My Jeep sits in the driveway, the only car in the drive way.

There's no trees in the front yard, unlike the other houses. It's why I picked this one. So I can see the whole front yard, to make sure no one could sneak up from at least the front yard.

It gave me a uninterrupted view of the road in front of the house, which allowed me to see the person walking down the street. My hand slows down brushing my teeth as I watch the man walk. Dark jacket, black backpack, blue jeans. There's no blood that I can see, and he's walking with a purpose. So not dead.

My mind races, to run out and get his attention or to hide away in the house until he's gone. My body freezes as my mind goes crazy. Is he a threat or friendly? Is he alone or with a group? Are they friendly?

In a split second my mind makes its self up. I quickly run my brush under the running water cleaning it off the best I can. Its tossed while still wet into my bag and I shove everything I had pulled out back in. I spit the paste out of my mouth and run out of the bathroom, tossing my toiletry bag into my backpack and rush to put it on.

I'm running out the front door slipping my neck gaiter over my head and to around my neck and I don't even pause at my Jeep. I'd rather drive it but if he saw a car coming after him he'd probably just run into the woods to escape me. That's what I'd do anyway. A car is to hostile, you never know who's inside, so I'd chase him down on foot. I'd try to come across friendly, while having my gun ready at my side just in case he wasn't.

I really wanted to find someone new, to know that there were people alive out in the world other then the small group I had left behind. I had hope there were still friendly people just surviving out in the world.

My feet hit the road, and I turn seeing he had gotten quiet far down the street. I debated on calling out, but I hadn't cleared the other houses or the woods, there could be zombies out there that I couldn't see. So instead of yelling to get his attention, I start jogging, hoping to get close enough to call out without being to loud.