Chapter 6 - Taylor

The window on the front door is easy enough to cover

The window on the front door is easy enough to cover. The front window - I just duct-taped a bag to the side of the bookcase and stretched it over to the edge of the window. The window above the sink gets a bag and duct tape, Miss May tries her best to cover most of the sliding glass door. There is a half bathroom down here, but it has no windows, and the small dining room has thick curtains I tape to the walls along the edges. Once I cover my bedroom window and the upstairs bathroom window, we only have two bags left.

I shower while Miss May stays downstairs after we make dinner in low lighting because we were still worried that we had missed something. I offered my parent's room to Miss May and broke off on my own. It's awkward thinking that one of my previous teachers was in my parent's bedroom, sleeping in their bed. I have to shake it off because this world is different and really, where else was she going to sleep? I didn't want her downstairs on the couch, and to have her in my room with me would be crossing a line I couldn't deal with. There might come a time when we might sleep in the same space, but right now I didn't want to cross that line.

That first night I never thought I'd be able to sleep, but once I settled in bed, hugging my moms hiking bag to me I fell asleep in minutes. Maybe it was all the pent-up stress or the emotions. Either one or maybe both, wore me out mentally and physically. When I got up I still felt tired but there was no way I'd go back to sleep. Going to the window I lift the bottom edge of the black bag and tuck it at the top giving me half of the window to look out of. Something catches my eye almost immediately and I frown as it disappears in a second.

I stare out the window for what has to be fifteen or twenty minutes, and I see the light a few times but I can't figure out what it is. There's a light knock on my door that startles me - until I remember Miss May is here. "I'm awake."

I say it just loud enough to be heard through the door. The door opens as she peaks into my mostly dark room. "It's hard to sleep for long."

"Same here." I tell her then wave her in. The street light is on outside, providing just enough light to not trip over yourself. She either decides to come in farther or she can see me waving her in. Either way. I turn to the window again and I see the flash of light again. "Do you see that?"

Miss May comes over to lean down to stare out the window. She stays there for a few minutes, until that light flashes again. "Huh."

"Think it might just be something someone left on?"

"It could be." Miss May answers. "It could also be someone alive."

"It would be dangerous to go and help them." My voice is a lot softer than I meant for it to be. The thought of going out there filled me with dread. I'd rather stay up here, at the window where I can shoot down from.

"What is the point of us surviving if we don't at least try to help others?" Her words strike something in me, I frown at it and her. I didn't want them to die, whoever it was. I didn't let Miss May die when I could have just looked the other way. I could have stayed up in my room, just trying to survive until my parents got here.

"When the sun comes up I'll see if I can shoot any zombies from my window." I tell Miss May, keeping my eyes on the window. I hadn't noticed any movement. "We can go down there, but carefully. I can only shoot arrows so fast."

"I will go find a weapon I can use besides the gun." Miss May says before heading out of my room. She had learned the layout of the house yesterday so I let her go alone. I watch out the window as a pink line along the horizon appears and I start to feel that adrenaline pick up in my body.

Going with Miss May yesterday just showed me that because of the trees, bushes and some of the houses, I couldn't see around every corner from my window. I know there was at least one zombie out there, one crawling around with its arms. A pang of pity hits me and I rub my chest. I felt bad for the person it used to be, if I can I'd like to put it out of its misery. Because now it wasn't a person I possibly once knew, it was a thing, a virus that has taken over someone's body and is just trying to spread. At least from what I've seen in shows and movies. Hopefully real life was the same.

I had to believe that or I was going to freeze up at a bad time.