Chapter 35 - Taylor

I pulled the van around so the back is right in the front doors of the leasing office

I pulled the van around so the back is right in the front doors of the leasing office. The doors are wide open and I stack what I can into it. One of the apartments looked like the people had just moved in, those boxes came in handy to move all of the food items. I grabbed everything that would last, and a few bags of produce that were still good. Then I piled blankets and pillows onto the top of the haul. That was one of the other things Hendricks had asked me to focus on getting. They had cots, some blankets, and pillows but not nearly enough for everyone.

I moved the van to the corner of the road that leads into the apartments and the main road. Hendricks could see it from the firehouse. Moving back to the apartments I decide to load up items in the leasing office. It takes me hours, and the repetitive movements allow me to just space out and relax. After taking care of the one zombie that liked to bang on the apartment door, it was silent. I had room and time to breathe.

I find keys to cars while searching apartments, I take the time to figure out which keys go to what car. Well, see if I remember. Going back to a large SUV I pop open the door and crawl into the driver seat. Starting it up I take note that it was almost full of gas, perfect. The next thing I knew, I was driving home, going the long way so as to not pass the firehouse.

Going back it felt like a lifetime had passed, even though it's only been like a day or so. The house looked the exact same as I left it, no indication people - living or dead - had gone inside. My boots make loud thuds as I move up the stairs, not caring to be quiet. Opening my parent's room door I notice the smell of my mom's perfume had almost dissipated. Now the house just smelt stale and dusty.

I spend the next twenty or so minutes digging through my parent's things. When I get into the closet and the dresser under my dads safe, I wanted to slap my own forehead. A leather-bound address book sits right on top of the dresser, right next to the safe.

Taking it I move to the window, opening the curtains. I use the light from the window to see it and flip through the pages. It takes me a moment to find it, it was in the middle of the book, Adam Heedy. It has his email, which won't do me any good, his phone number, which still won't help, and then finally an address. Some city in Texas I'd never heard of, but at least I now had it. I take my backpack off and shove it deep in the middle of all my things. I'll take a closer look at it later, maybe once I have a map.

The next few hours I scrounge around my neighbor's houses and fill up the SUV. Yes including Ms. Dowry's house. I didn't get everything from there but it was a start.

I switch out the SUV for the van next, loading it back up from the apartments, and then leave with the SUV once it's emptied. By the time I get back with that, it's already sunset and I debate on just going home for the night. One hand I would be alone and in my room, on the other hand, the firehouse had hot water and hot food. The call of warm water is too great, especially after all the hauling I did. I was covered in sweat, dirt, and some blood.

"Do you have clothes?" Beth asks me when she sees me booking it for the bathrooms. I slow so she can catch up to me.

"Yes, I stopped by my house to grab some things." I said, half-heartedly lifting the duffle bag. I had filled it up with as much of my clothing as it could hold. Mostly light things, t-shirts, sweatpants, leggings, underwear. I could always find jackets.

"Good, not a lot of clothes to go around." Beth motions down to herself. She's in a baggy top and loose-fitting pants. "We do have a washing machine though, industrial-sized."

"Need soap for it." I said it more to myself, but she nods in agreement. More things to consider that we need.

"I'll save you some of the stew they're making." Beth said before splitting off towards the main living area. Beth was an okay person, she was short and snappy with the way she spoke but I didn't get an air of malice from her. She seemed to just be naturally abrasive. I could deal with that.

Moving into the women's bathrooms I could hear talking and laughing. I grab a few towels that had been set aside before heading into one of the stalls, lugging my duffle bag with me.