Chapter 34 - Taylor

"Why are you out here on your own?" Georgia asks me

"Why are you out here on your own?" Georgia asks me. We had gotten away from the apartment building, I only had to take down one zombie that was in our way. Now all of us were walking down the road toward the firehouse.

"Yesterday we saved other people, everyone is exhausted from that. We need food though, so I decided to go out and look through houses, gathering what I can for the group." I had a list of other things I had to look out for, but food was the biggest thing. We could never have too much of it.

"They sent a kid out to do it?" Ramone says it like he can't believe it.

"No, I asked to go out."

"Why would you ask to do such a thing?" Georgia asks, I try not to let on that their questions were beginning to irritate me. I had wanted to get out for privacy, to have a moment alone.

I shrug at her question, she looked like she was still burning with curiosity, and I just barely catch the look Ramone gives her. Maybe he could pick up on my mood. Walking my mind goes back to those apartments, those would be a great place to start. I'd just have to take care of that one zombie that had been banging on the door. Then I think, I should have asked Georgia and Ramone to help me pick through the apartments. It would have gone a lot faster, but as Georgia starts talking again, this time more towards Ramone I'm glad I didn't ask.

And that thought made me feel shitty. They were a nice couple, the kids were quiet and listened well, still, I was excited to drop them off and be free of them. I was being a bitch and my emotions were building up to a point where I was uncomfortable. I needed alone time, I needed to break down by myself so I can gather my thoughts.

When we reach the gate, Hendricks is still there. He gives me a nod before I turn to head back to the apartments. This time I speed walk, needing to be away from the group of people. I make my way over to Georgia and Ramones apartment, left unlocked because I mean, what's the point of locking the door now?

Their apartment is a decent size, with a large living room, and a small dining and kitchen behind it. There's a hallway that leads over to the bedrooms but I sit on their plush couch. I pull one of the throw pillows to myself, unfamiliar but soft and comforting. Exactly what I need in that moment. That moment I allow myself to feel all my feelings, to stare off not looking at anything in particular as everything in the past few days run through my mind.

The phone call with my dad, helping Miss May, killing a man. God, I killed a man who was trying to force himself on me. That warranted me breaking down on its own. Closing my eyes, I feel hot tears roll down my face and I take a slow deep shaky breath in. Letting it out I replay everything the past few days, it passes like a foggy movie in my mind. Taking another breath I bring up my hands to wipe away my tears.

I feel like I'm rebuilding the wall that surrounds my emotions brick by brick. I had a moment to feel everything, now I needed to put it all back and gather myself. Like it or not, I was in a position where I could help, and I would because it was the right thing to do.

My parents wouldn't want me to be out here, but I think they would be disappointed if I didn't help the group in some way. Thinking about my parents, my mind goes back to the phone call, my dad had mentioned my uncle. I'd have to check my parent's room for an address book, hopefully, my uncle's address will be in there. I just couldn't remember his name, I know it was a typical man's name. Like Frank, or James... no. I started with an A, or E maybe. Alex isn't it, or Elijah.

Thinking for a moment I look around the apartment, my eyes catching on a bible. My parents aren't really religious people, but one story I sort of know of is Adam and Caine. Adam, that's it. It was Adam something, my dad doesn't share his last name. I know if I saw it, I'd recognize it though.

After I pack up what I can from the apartments I'll have to go back home for the address book, to look for Uncle Adam's details.