Chapter 20 - Shane

When I get home I actually turn on the TV, I didn't pay for cable but had one of those antenna's to get about a dozen free channels

When I get home I actually turn on the TV, I didn't pay for cable but had one of those antenna's to get about a dozen free channels. Half of those channels are news, so I just flip to one of them. I have to grab a rag from the kitchen and wipe down the screen, I don't remember the last time I watched this damn thing. I even have to press the buttons on the TV to turn the volume up, I have no idea where the remote is.

My nose wrinkles from all the dust floating around, I scowl at the TV as they talk about more of the same. Though this time I can see the footage they have, cops in full riot gear trying to get a crowd of people back. The people looked gray, maybe from the lighting or camera, or maybe their skin just looks fucked up. It's hard to see small details with the shaky camera work, and then when a cop starts firing into the crowd the camera is dropped. The 'rioters' move over the camera, not perturbed by the gunfire. There was screaming in the background, now it was full force as someone else screams. The moaning and groaning almost drowned it out, with the infected walking all over the camera.

The video switches to Derek, he doesn't look so good himself, pale and in shock. 'That video was coming to us from Alabama, a few hours ago.'

My body jerks in shock and I move to the kitchen, the TV plays in the background but I only half pay attention. Ripping open all my cabinets, and the pantry door I start taking inventory of all the food I have. Enough for a few weeks - if I ration it. I could always hunt, fish, or even forage, that's no issue. So maybe three or four weeks. Closing all the doors, I move to the garage, I'd need to set up water catchers. I'd sit in my house and wait it out for a while because if it is zombies the first couple of days will be hell.

Fuck, now I was starting to believe zombies are real. Running my hands through my hair I stand and stare at my garage. Boxes fill up one side of it, then my metal table with all of my butchering supplies. I do have a few shelves in here, taking up the last of the room. I had no room to bring my truck in. Should I? If shit gets bad should I have my truck in the garage protected? In a space, I can get to without going outside?

Why was I thinking about that? I lived in the middle of the fucking woods. I didn't have to worry about people seeing my truck from the street, they couldn't even see my house from the street. Why was I out here again?

Water, right.

I already had things for catching water, when I had decided to look into farming but didn't want to run up my water bill. Catching rainwater, filtering it just a little, and using it for a garden seemed like the best option. Until I realized it took a ton of room out of my limited land. Now I guess it doesn't fucking matter. I'll set it up, then I'll go foraging. There should be a good amount of mushrooms popping up this time of the year. As I haul out the water catcher things, my mind runs through scenarios. This could just be a fucked up virus, it runs through the country and the government fixes it in a couple of months. Or it is much worse, a lot of people die and I'm out here on my own.

Either way, I needed to prepare to stay hunkered down. I'll stay out of the cities and towns unless absolutely necessary.

I spend a while making sure my water is set up before I go back inside to hear the TV still on. Moving to my bedroom I gather my things for going into the forest, I still had a few hours of daylight left - I was going to use it.

Moving back to the living room I move to the TV, I had been half listening to it. I pause before turning it off, Derek looked like he hadn't slept in a week. Beads of sweat are visible on his face, even with my low-quality TV. I watch, stunned as Derek's face hits the desk. People around him start to freak out, someone with a headset and in a t-shirt with the channels logo on the breast of it goes over to Derek. His hand presses to his throat as a few more people appear on camera, the live broadcast apparently forgotten.

'No pulse.' The man shouts to be overheard over the panic.

'Give him CPR!' It's a women's voice from the sidelines and no one looks like they want to get anywhere closer to Derek. The first man after hesitation moves closer and I shake my head at the TV.

"Dumb fuckin' idiot," I mutter to myself. My mouth is dry and I try to keep myself calm as I watched the man roll Derek to the side. I see Derek's arms move like he was shocked by something. His eyes open wide and the people in the news station scream. The man in the t-shirt grabs Derek by the shoulders, but Derek just lunges forward.

Derek's mouth is on the guy's neck, blood spurts everywhere as a chunk is ripped off of him, Derek comes away with a mouthful of meat and blood running down his face and neck. The two disappear behind the desk, the sounds of screaming still going on. I finally shut off the TV and stare at myself in the reflection of the black screen.

Zombies it is... I guess I'm not fuckin' crazy after all.