Chapter 16 - Taylor

It takes me three tries to strike the match to light it

It takes me three tries to strike the match to light it. The match then goes to the wick and I run from the batch of fireworks. Sierra's parents might have been strict, but don't mention the irony of them lighting up fireworks for a week straight around the fourth of July. They've had cops called on them a few times, the only thing the Garcias ever got into trouble for. Now it was a good thing that they went out to buy them as soon as they started selling the fireworks. I had set a bunch of them up in the middle of the apartment's parking lot, across the street, and about a block down the road from the firehouse.

Instead of standing around to watch the fireworks, I continue to run. I parked the car a little farther away, which as I get to it I realize was a good idea. Three zombies amble around it, then the first firework starts. Taking shelter behind a tree that's way too close to a house I watch as they start moving from my car to where another firework pops off. When they are past the group of houses I run to my car, I wait a full minute before I move my car down the street towards the firehouse. Before I had set up the fireworks I talked to the guys over the radio, and just as I turn into the drive of the firehouse the garage door in front of me opens up just enough to allow the car in, and immediately closed.

The moment I'm out of my car, I'm scooped up into a hug. I stiffen but he doesn't seem to notice. "I'm so glad you're here, that you're planned worked."

It's Eric, he lets me go to put his hands on my shoulders. When he sees my face he frowns. "What happened."

I shake my head. "I rather not talk about it." I pat his hand before stepping away from him and towards the group of people. Eric had never hugged me before and it was awkward, but I guess he just got too excited and didn't think about it. That was probably it but after what happened earlier it gave me a ick feeling. Turning to the larger group I motion over to my car. "I grabbed up some basic camping gear, there are knives and some bows if you know how to use them, there's also a few leftover fireworks."

"We were discussing what to do once the group of.. things were gone," Eric says.

"We are gonna go get our families and come back here." This is from an older man, short, stout, and fit for his age. I think he's the fire chief.

"Why come back here?" I ask looking around. It is a large building, made of brick with thick metal doors and secure windows. "You guys were just stuck in here with no way out."

"If we had guns we could have cleared a big enough path to get out, then we have fire axe's to take out the others close up." This is from another middle-aged man, this guy is balding with a belly. Sierra would have said that he has a dad bod.

A hand settles on my shoulder, I look up to see Eric. "Three fire trucks that hold water, we have a generator we can use, and enough sleeping space for everyone." He gives me a small smile. "Go to Beth, she's a medic, have her look at your bruise."

"I'm fine." It comes out snappy, I bite my tongue at my tone but make no move to apologize for it.

"No, you aint." It's a female voice. Soon there's a woman not much older than myself walking up to me. "Come on girlie, I'll get you cleaned up, you can even bring your bow if it makes you feel better."

I frown at her, but I let her lead me away. I'm taken farther into the firehouse, to the women's bathroom. She had grabbed a large med kit on the way and placed it onto the counter. I place my bow on the counter and cringe as I take my backpack off. She watches me like a hawk as I place my bag on the counter.

"I won't ask what happened, but I need to know if there's anything else." She says, she finally opens her med kit and starts pulling random things out.

"I got into... a fight." I tell her. "He got a few shots in but he looks worse."

She gives me a side-eyed look and I try to give her a reassuring smile, I don't think I was very convincing. She turns to me with a hand on her hip. "When were you bit?"

My stomach plummets, I couldn't control my reaction to her question and she saw the truth. God damn it. I shake my head. "I just wanted to get the zombies away from the firehouse, I'll leave soon."

"A last heroic moment, eh?" I couldn't tell if she was being condescending or not. She turns back to what she has laid out on the counter. "Let me clean the bite."

"What does it matter?" I ask bitterly. She only turns her head to give me a hard look. I pop the button on the wrist of my sleeve then roll it up to my shoulder. She moves over to my arm and unwraps my makeshift bandage. My teeth dig into my tongue as I bite it trying to hold back my reaction.

"I'll clean and dress it because I'm able to. Maybe a clean wound will give you a little more time, maybe not. The least we can do is try."