Chapter 4 - Taylor

"How are you not panicking?" Miss May asks me

I give her a shrug and glance at the window. "I know my parents were alive just a couple of hours ago, so there's hope in that. But I just.. I think I'm dissociating, trying to put all of my feelings in a box. Maybe later I can break down and feel everything, but not now."

Miss May's face is full of concern and I can't look her in the eyes anymore. I know it's not healthy to do, it's the only thing I can do now though. Anything could happen at any moment. There is an underlying sense of fear and panic in me though, just under the surface that's wanting to bubble up.

"How many arrows do you have?" Miss May asks. I look down to my bow that sits next to me on the floor and all of the wooden arrows.

"The quiver on my bow holds five, the other quiver holds twelve. Both are full with carbon arrows, they are very sturdy and will last a long time." I'm just saying what I've heard my dad and the shop guy tell me dozens of times. "I have the stuff to make two dozen wooden arrows, I probably wouldn't reuse them with the compound bow. The arrow can break during firing and hurt someone."

I had made ten before I saw Miss May. Now three of those are gone.

"And the." Her voice drops next, like what she was going to say next was a really bad word. "Gun?"

I shake my head, frowning as I think about the small stock of ammo I had found for it. "The clip in it is full, there is a spare I have and a small box. It's not a lot but I don't want to use it unless I have to."

My dad never kept more than what he would have to have handy at home, because it was his work gun and they had a minimum they had to carry. He kept whatever he could at work, for whatever reason he didn't like guns in the house even though he was a gun nut.

"I have a gun at home." Miss May says. My mouth pops open in surprise and she frowns at me. "I am a woman who lives alone Taylor, I own a gun for protection."

"I'm not judging, I'm just surprised." I tell her, her shoulders drop a tad and she shakes her head.

"I'm sorry." She lets out a deep sigh, dropping her shoulders more. "Do you think I can make it to my house to grab some of my things?"

"I can go with you." I state. I know I probably shouldn't leave home, but her house was only just a few houses down. It wasn't like she was going a few blocks over.

"Taylor, no." Miss May shakes her head at me, her hands go to her hips and suddenly I feel a few years younger.

I have to shake off the feeling. "Miss May, I can see your house from the window, there aren't any zombies wandering." The siren had drawn all the visible zombies away. "We can run quietly to your house and then back here. There's lots of food and water here, plus I can see both ends of the street from my window."

I point to it and she glances back to what lays outside. She goes white as she probably remembers what had happened out there. I'd hate to think about what she had seen. "Let me just follow you there and back."

Her head dips a little, she clears her throat and looks back to me. "I don't want you to follow me, but I get the sense that you won't take 'no' for an answer."

"You would be right." I told her. Because I didn't want to be alone. If I went with her I could try to make sure she would get back with me. "Do you want a weapon? There are knives downstairs, maybe a crowbar in the garage?"

Miss May shakes her head. "I don't want to carry more than I have too, that way I carry more back."

I give her a nod before grabbing my quiver and pulling it over my shoulder, then my bow is in my hand as I stand. "Okay, we run."

"We run." Miss May agrees.